Dude or un-Dude....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Seen a guy riding an MTB on Filton Avenue a couple of times.....wearing a full face, downhill helmet, goggles and full body armour.....no armour on his legs, so he kinda looks top heavy.

Also see a guy who pulls along a little trailer full of junk - he wears a toy bear or lion on his head, often is not wearing a shirt and is overweight - not pleasant.

Anyone else seen the local eccentric riding about?

Comments

• That was a dream wasn't it? You're telling us a dream you had.
  • I've seen full face guy a few times, always on Filton Avenue too. I always wonder whether he's very worried about falling, is on his way to/from some serious off roading (where?), or just thinks he's a bit of a 'character'.

Soft Toy man sounds a bit crazy, haven't seen him yet.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I frequently see a guy on Putney Bridge / Lower Richmond Road on a winter tourer (rack & full metal guards) weating body armour.

It's just weird.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Asprilla wrote:
    I frequently see a guy on Putney Bridge / Lower Richmond Road on a winter tourer (rack & full metal guards) weating body armour.

It's just weird.

Twenty years ago people said the same about helmets... maybe in a couple of decades we'll be discussing whether body-armour should be compulsory... I mean, it's obviously safer, isn't it? Why wouldn't anyone wear it? You would be wearing special cycling gear, anyway, so why not put on something that'll offer some protection?

Cheers,
    W.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    There are a couple of odd ones up London way: the chap with the American Football helmet, and several full face and/or body armour, one in combination with a sensible hybrid and panniers - very odd.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    rjsterry wrote:
    There are a couple of odd ones up London way: the chap with the American Football helmet, and several full face and/or body armour, one in combination with a sensible hybrid and panniers - very odd.

I saw the american football helmet dude last thursday at london bridge - looked well wrong.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

It's just weird.

Twenty years ago people said the same about helmets... maybe in a couple of decades we'll be discussing whether body-armour should be compulsory... I mean, it's obviously safer, isn't it? Why wouldn't anyone wear it? You would be wearing special cycling gear, anyway, so why not put on something that'll offer some protection?

Cheers,
    W.

istock_can-of-worms.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    One of my GF's former housemates commuted in full body armour, but then he did ride a 'Create' Fixed so I can't fault his decision making process...

...aside from choosing to ride a Create of course.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    There's a rasta in brum that rolls around on a rasta coloured chopper, complete with spliff and his locks tucked into one of them enormous hats.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    There used to be a bloke round south Birmingham allways went in bare feet even when cycling I think they actually called him Pete the feet
  • I've occasionally seen a bloke in what looks like a motocross helmet on the Uxbridge road near Shepherds Bush. That must be nice and warm.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I've seen a guy wearing an american football helmet instead of a real one.
    I've seen someone else wearing snorkling goggles instead of cycling glasses
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    gaz545 wrote:

Sensible, if they were prescription goggles and they had lost their glasses ;)

I used to have a pair of parachuting goggles. They would be ideal for cycling I reckon, but they were even better for cooking over a smokey bbq as they had a loose seal around the face stopping the smoke getting in the eyes.

I used to ride back from snowboarding at the dry slope with my snowboard helmet on - seemed stoopid to take 2 helmets with me.
    us0.png
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    theres a guy i sometimes see around edinburgh who must have all of his worldy possessions with him..

im talking matress and duvet strapped onto his bike (which he is usually pushing...)

he is a bit mad.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • gaz545 wrote:
    I've seen a guy wearing an american football helmet instead of a real one.

Oooh I saw a guy just this morning wearing what looked like safety goggles while he was cycling along.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Sometimes see a guy riding riding around West London on an On One singlespeed with fluffy rabbit ears attached to his helmet. I think that they look quite cool.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Gussio wrote:
    Sometimes see a guy riding riding around West London on an On One singlespeed with fluffy rabbit ears attached to his helmet. I think that they look quite cool.

It's you isn't it?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gussio
    Nahhhh.....What's up Doc?

:lol:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    gaz545 wrote:

Normal for a commute in rainy Glasgow, the snorkel and flippers are also useful in the recent weather we have been having.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Gussio wrote:

My housemates reckon my new Catlike Crono Helmet could do with ears, a nose and whiskers given it's name.

I've yet to see the wind tunnel data to make a decision one way or the other...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Gussio
    TommyEss wrote:
    My housemates reckon my new Catlike Crono Helmet could do with ears, a nose and whiskers given it's name.

Lugs on the helmet as well as the frame? What's not to like?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Oh, it'd look gorgeous when it's done - 313px-Sylvester_the_Cat.svg.png
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    DCowling wrote:
    There used to be a bloke round south Birmingham allways went in bare feet even when cycling I think they actually called him Pete the feet

I've heard of pete the feet, he lives in mosely I think. He makes lighters and exchanges them for beer.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm planning on making a viking cycling helmet with two carbon bianchi fork legs that a customer said i could keep as I'd done the repairs for her post a big crash!

That will be awesome
  • asprilla
    I'm planning on making a viking cycling helmet with two carbon bianchi fork legs that a customer said i could keep as I'd done the repairs for her post a big crash!

That will be awesome

I've got a damaged wheel rim you can turn into a shield to strap to your arm if you want.......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3