Please help between great online deal and store!

zebulon
zebulon Posts: 10
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I would like to receive advice on my next road bike purchase.

My first choice is buying the Focus Variado 2010 on Wiggle, which is a great deal: £600, equipped with 105 (brakes shifters and rear derailleur) except the chainset which is FSA Gossamer Pro, but has good review. My second choice is to buy a Trek 1.5 or a Spec Allez Elite from a reputed store, but it is £775, and equipped with Tiagra.

The big advantage with the store is the servicing: it is a professional store (not Halfords!) which will provide an excellent service. On the other hand, it is pricey!! On the other hand, the Wiggle deal is excellent, especially in regards to the equipment.

My only concern is the weight of the cycle: the Trek is 9.4 kg and the Focus is 9.95 kg (this was cause of downgrading its score in the bikeradar review, but at the time the bike was £950). Would that really make a difference? Is it better to have a lighter bike or a slightly heavier with a superior gear?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    The weight will make no noticeable difference. Save the money, spend it on servicing in the shop to get the relationship.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • toxic 2
    toxic 2 Posts: 7
    You always ask the store for a discount.
  • zebulon
    zebulon Posts: 10
    Many thanks for your answers.

toxic2: you are right, but here I do not think I could get a discount big enough to reach the level of the wiggle deal.
  • The Trek will be last years model. If they have it in stock they will want to shift it to make way for 2011 models soon. Offer them £600 for it if they dont move on price then buy the other bike off wiggle. If the bike isnt want you expected off Wiggle you can return it they have a 30day test ride offer.
  • Bike servicing is where local bike shops make their money. Theres nothing to say you cant buy the Wiggle bike and have it serviced at your local bike shop. I'm sure they would be glad of the business.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Even if the Trek is brought to £600 it's still not as good a bike whatever the weight.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    The Varido is amazing value for money & that is the one I'd go for. As stated above you have the 30 day return policy with Wiggle & a LBS will happily service any make of bike.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • My LBS matched an online deal and on a different option they offered a free service and free 12 month labour warranty. They also fitted it properly for me for free; good for me as I'm a newbie to road biking!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Its always a risk buying on line - but to an extent that depends on yourself. Some people can jump on any bike that vaguley fits - and they never have a problem.
    Im not so lucky, If I don't get it spot on - I get back ache, knee pain, or my feet tingle.
    - I had a similar dilema last summer - mail order, the bike I wanted was being offered for £300 less ....and the full price was only £1700 - so thats some percentage saving. ....In the end I thought that given the amount I was spending I had to get it right - so went to the lbs, and got fiited properly, even then I had to take it back for bar and stem swaps (free of charge) - I have by no means recouped the £300 I could have saved - but I do have a bike, that feels comfy when I get on, and is still ok 70 miles later.....

Hope that helps

a final bit of advice - go for the one you like......a bike decision, is a decision from the heart - go for the one that will still wow you 12 months on.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If you can notice a c.5% weight difference between bikes at over 9kg I'd be impressed.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    to check out all the deals that are updated on the single page and are the best deals i think that is the best thing to do.

Given the thread is two years old, one would have hoped the OP made his mind up already!
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug