White Spirit?

ryan1702
ryan1702 Posts: 40
edited August 2010 in MTB general
I cleaned my brakes with white spirit, took the pads out and rubbed them with white spirit, have i broke it?
I thought a thought that I thought I had thought but the thought that I had thought wasn't the thought that I had thought I had thought so maybe if I had thought the thought that I thought I thought I wouldn't of thought so much!

Comments

• ryan1702
    cleaned the rotor and pads to stop squealin noise, the squealin has stopped but the brakes arent working as well
    I thought a thought that I thought I had thought but the thought that I had thought wasn't the thought that I had thought I had thought so maybe if I had thought the thought that I thought I thought I wouldn't of thought so much!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bad stuff to use, very oily.

Pure alcohol or specific cleaners are best. I would replace your pads and clean the rotors.
  • did you check the pads wernt in contact with the disc before applying white spirit?
  • Automotive brake cleaner is best thing to use. lts is cheap as hell and all you need is a cheap squirty bottle from somewhere like wilkinson.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new pad time. and get some brake cleaner and clean the rotors.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    Automotive brake cleaner is best thing to use. lts is cheap as hell and all you need is a cheap squirty bottle from somewhere like wilkinson.

be careful there as some Auto brake cleaners contain oils to reduce corrosion ob the cast iron discs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cheers didnt realise. I guess the higher temps on cars burn it off ?

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • ryan1702
    the answer to my question is yes then. Would you recommend paying the bit extra for sintered?
  • nicklouse
    it depends on conditions.

dry - organic

wet - sintered.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Or Superstar Kevlar pads for all conditions with not as many conpromises between organic and sintered pads
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I use Superstar Sintered all year round- can't fault them!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    +1 on superstar pads, find them some of the best.

Side topic, does anyone know where you can get Isopropyl alcohol in significant volumes for cheap.

Supposed to be a good cleaner, but cant find it!?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    cavegiant wrote:
    does anyone know where you can get Isopropyl alcohol in significant volumes for cheap.
    The chemists usually have some under the counter. Providing you don't go in for a couple of litres every day you should be OK.
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    I got mine (never used it for bike) from www.cpc.farnell.com when on offer, not sure of price competiveness now.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I made this error once but it didn't ruin my brakes. It wears off really quickly. Give them a wash, take your bike on an easy ride with good opportunity to brake and you'll be fine...
    Now I usually wash the brakes with water and rub them down a little. Rubbing alcohol would work, that would be Isopropyl alcohol. Easy to get in Canada :)
    Many happy trails!