Hi all, Newbie from Derbyshire

GlastoMongrel
GlastoMongrel Posts: 10
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello everyone, just thought I'd say hi to get me going on the forum. Went and picked up my new bike today, it's a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc in red and white. Got a stinking hangover today so only ridden it around the block once. My first thoughts were that it's a lot harder than it used to be when I was a kid! Gotta get my fitness back up! Another thought was that some padded shorts/trousers are going to be essential. Think I might go to Carsington or Sherwood tomorrow to get the feel for it. After looking round the internet a bit, it would seem that I'm in quite a favorable location for some good rides, peak district on my doorstep :D
Has anyone else had to struggle to regain fitness? If so, how long did it take to get comfortable riding?

Cheers everyone :)

Comments

• bunyip
    bunyip Posts: 52
    if you go out once or twice a week for 1 - 2 hours you should be ready to tackle some of the Peaks stuff within a couple of months, of course thats assuming a reasonable level of fitness already. the main thing is to make sure you keep getting on the bike as regularly as possible.
  • Cheers, thanks for the advice. I intend to be riding regularly and as a student I have plenty of time on my hands over the summer to do so. I'm going to aim to get out at least 3 times a week, possibly more. Think i'll do Carsington tomorrow as it's only 8 miles and I need to get some practise in to get used to the bike.
  • I'm a smoker and have hardly done any exercise for years. I was doing a couple of hours 2/3 times a week since December. I am now going out for 6 hour rides and visiting trail centers.

The more you ride, the more your fitness will improve.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    welcome, nice bike choice and although this sounds a bit hippyish: the best way to get fit is to enjoy it.

riding to get fit can be a slog, riding fun is, well, fun and you get the added bonus of getting fit
  • Sounds good, i'm excited to get out riding, getting into better shape will be a massive bonus too :D
  • Ali82
    Ali82 Posts: 9
    I'm from your neck of the woods and there's some good variety locally. Carsington is actually quite hilly, if your looking for a nice flat run to start off with try Middleton Top to Parsley Hay on the High Peak trail, 11.5 miles (23 mile round trip) but dead flat.
  • Sounds good, I used to do Middleton as a kid, never done Carsington circuit on a bike but I've walked it round.
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    Carsington isn't even slightly technical but there are some quite steep climbs!