Top 10 cyclists salaries?

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,150
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Sorry if you were looking to see actual salaries here. That's not what this is about.

I'm wondering who you people thought were the ten cyclists (in order) deserving of the biggest salary. I mean deserving as in what you would pay them as a team boss (results and publicity all considered).

I'll say:

1. Contador
2. Cavendish
3. A Schleck
4. Cancellara
5. Evans
6. Gilbert
7. Basso
8. Boonen
9. Menchov
10. Farrar

(I'm excluding Armstrong, because he's a whole different animal). And obviously nationality can come into it, but I'm trying to ignore that too.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• reppohkcor
    reppohkcor Posts: 111
    I'd put Cancellara 2nd close behind Contador

Vino's gotta be up there too just for the exposure he would give (on his fat ass :p )
  • Don;t think Cav is in the top 10, salary less than Mcewan AFAIK.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Don;t think Cav is in the top 10, salary less than McEwen AFAIK.

He asked who was the most deserving for wins publicity etc and Cav is definately up there with Contador. Pretty much agree with your ten Rich apart from say maybe Basso .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    After making that 'I'm Tyler Farrar sprinter of team garmin transitions' rubbish and seeing it approximately 75,000 times, I wouldn't pay him anything.
    Mañana
  • If you're running a team or a business pay should reflect not what someone has achieved, but how much you want to keep them. What they've achieved plays a role in how much you want to keep them, but it's not the main thing.

GT GC and especially the tdf GC are what it's all about in the money stakes so I'd go for contador, a schleck and either basso or menchov as the top three.

Harsh on the likes of cancellara, cav and evans, boring too, but fair.
  • In the newest armstrong book (tour de lance, actually a pretty good book even if you dont like him)
    The author states that cav is the 2nd highest paid rider behind lance and he seems to have access to lots of info.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited August 2010
    Valverde would be 2nd or third on that list if he was riding. I have never seen anything about Cav's earnings but think he must take in pretty huge.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    In the newest armstrong book (tour de lance, actually a pretty good book even if you dont like him)
    The author states that cav is the 2nd highest paid rider behind lance and he seems to have access to lots of info.

You mean the book with lots of factual inaccuracy?! See here from the quality Cyclocsm:
    (towards the bottom)
    http://cyclocosm.com/2010/07/tour-de-lance-review/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    (from a year ago)

Interesting article from Le Monde on salaries of pro cyclists, and specifically the disparities between the stars and the others. A few tidbits: Contador makes 2-3 million euros per year between salary and image rights; Chavanel's the highest paid Frenchman at 700,000. Maxime Bouet, on the other hand, makes 1,700 euros net per month, though in 2008 he also made 7,000-10,000 in prize money. Salaries are on the rise - average has gone from 70,000 in 2002 to 136,000 this year. Pro Tour minimum is 2,750 gross per month (2,250 with less than 2 years experience); for continental teams it's 2,292 and 1,916. According to Cedric Vasseur, president of the cyclists' union (btw does anyone know anything about this union? I don't), 30% of pro cyclists make the minimum salary.

- Podium Cafe
    Contador is the Greatest
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    GT GC and especially the tdf GC are what it's all about in the money stakes so I'd go for contador, a schleck and either basso or menchov as the top three.

Harsh on the likes of cancellara, cav and evans, boring too, but fair.

I'd say that someone who could go and take big wins in Belgium, France, Italy and Spain all season long (which could apply to any of these) would be worth a lot for a sponsor.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Cav is worth a lot and he will get a big pay rise from December onwards. Right now he's on less than Chavanel I think, although win bonuses make it complicated.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Wiggins?
    Rich
  • frenchfighter
    RichA wrote:
    Wiggins?

Good point. Just goes to show what a waste of money that is that he hasn't been mentioned before you.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Farrar could only be on that list for appearance fees in annoying adverts, not for his cycling prowess. Hushovd simply hasn't won enough to warrant a high salary. Sammy Sanchez is probably up there too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • RichA wrote:
    Wiggins?

Good point. Just goes to show what a waste of money that is that he hasn't been mentioned before you.

Seems like a waste of money but sky had to get him and garmin and wiggins knew it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

You mean the book with lots of factual inaccuracy?! See here from the quality Cyclocsm:
    (towards the bottom)

Are you ignoring the bit where he says

While the above certainly don’t demand a rewrite, after the events of these past three months, I’d really like to see an updated version of Tour de Lance.

I've exchanged a few tweets with Bill and have bought his book. Many folks in the ALB have said the book is pretty good.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • In the newest armstrong book (tour de lance, actually a pretty good book even if you dont like him)

(towards the bottom)

Yeah the one with the factual errors, its a good book, he got more right than wrong.
    I know the author could be wrong about Cav being the 2nd highest earner but its pretty hard to find solid evidence about most things in cycling these days so im willing to go with him. :)
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    pb21 wrote:
    After making that 'I'm Tyler Farrar sprinter of team garmin transitions' rubbish and seeing it approximately 75,000 times, I wouldn't pay him anything.

Few things spring to mind from this, He's not a sprinter and he should have gone to specsavers :)
  • I'd put Cancellara top.

He's fairly uncontroversial and liked by most. Not one that divides opinion like Cav, Armstrong, Contador etc.

Seems to be a genuinely nice guy with a sense of humour.

No real doubts about doping.

Well respected by the other riders.

He's guaranteed to get you some high profile wins every year and wear the yellow jersey for a good few days. He often wins races right the way throuhg from the early classics to the Worlds.

He looks good. He's a good-looking guy (so my Mrs tells me!) with a proper sportsman's physique, not a pencil thin unhealthy looking freak like some! Very important when you're using his image in your adverts.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Valverde would be 2nd or third on that list if he was riding. I have never seen anything about Cav's earnings but think he must take in pretty huge.

But he's not. Also the OP said "deserving"!!