Nygaard on origins of Lux team

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2010 in Pro race
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5084/ ... bourg.aspx

So it's a rich guys play thing. Nice.

Also, if I'm reading it right, he didn't leave Sky to do this. So there's a bit more a story there. Hmmmm
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    My suspicion sensor is going off the scale. Sony Ericsson anyone?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I just googled his name and got 700 hits. But one of them does say he "cultivates the art of discretion like no other"... very mysterious.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    A rich guys play thing? Like a lot of football clubs then? Cycling must be getting popular if that is the case.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    "Rich mans plaything" would cover several of the current top teams such as Columbia, Garmin and BMC as well as former squads like KAS, and probably the ultimate "toy" - Mapei.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Another Bernard Tapie? Lets hope the jerseys are as nice
    :wink:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    LangerDan wrote:
    "Rich mans plaything" would cover several of the current top teams such as Columbia, Garmin and BMC as well as former squads like KAS, and probably the ultimate "toy" - Mapei.
    The difference is whether the benefactor uses their own cash or diverts a corporate marketing budget into a team.

A fast food joint sponsoring the skinniest cyclist around would be amusing :wink:
  • iainf72
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5098/ ... -2011.aspx

"Might take until 2012"

Andyp might be on the money...
  • Kléber
    Apparently the registration papers have gone into the UCI. Becca owns the Quick franchises in Luxembourg and has other property interests. He's real, not sony_ericsson@yahoo.it or what ever it was that fooled Giancarlo Ferretti.
  • Kléber
    Becca owns all 8 Quick outlets in Luxembourg and employs 170 people

My local kebab shop is owned by a bloke who owns three kebab emporiums, maybe he could run a smaller team to chase stage wins in the Tour?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Kléber wrote:
    Becca owns all 8 Quick outlets in Luxembourg and employs 170 people

My local kebab shop is owned by a bloke who owns three kebab emporiums, maybe he could run a smaller team to chase stage wins in the Tour?

that's one musette I'd kill to get my hands on...

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
  • Kléber
    Flavio Becca seems like a quiet bloke but that can be good, he might be interested in the sport for the sake of it, rather than setting up a vehicle to promote his ego.

It's the last line on the blog that's bizarre, Bros going to Radioshack if the team doesn't get off the ground.
  • iainf72
    It seems both sponsors linked to the Lux team have released official denials they will be involved in a team.

Curious.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Breschel and Voigt have now confirmed they're leaving Saxo... surely the announcement's gotta come soon
  • Kléber
    It's looking interesting. I wonder whether the riders leaving Saxo have checked that all the money is waiting for them. I presume they have.

It seems Becca owns the franchises for Quick in Luxembourg and has a link to the freehold properties for Auchan supermarkets in Luxembourg. But this doesn't let him go near the use of their brands to back a cycling team that will be marketed around Europe and beyond.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    They'll al end up at the Shack riding for Levi.

Strava is not Zen.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Breschel's Rabobank bound.