IPOD while riding?

2»

Comments

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    why not mount your ipod on your bars and watch a video as well?

twice the fun!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I have a 100" plasma mounted to my handlebars.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    why not mount your ipod on your bars and watch a video as well?

twice the fun!

sarcasm aside...is that of much a far cry to bikes with detailed garmins or other navi devices fitted? people looking at HRMs, cycle computer data etc

on a seperate note... the band wagons rolling... everyone wage war on ipod wearing cyclists. I always knew it was because of my headphones that some gays dont wave back! :wink:
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,694
    Do you drive with the radio on?
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I'll try and control my opinion on this one.But for me it is pretty negligent,we are all up in arms when drivers use mobiles etc but when it comes to our own kind some seem to think that eliminating one of you senses is a sensible thing to do!

It's simple.Tractor/HGV coming around a blind corner on a narrow country lane,if you honestly believe that being able to hear the thing coming is not a significant safety advantage then,frankly,you are a genuine idiot.

So what you're saying is that people driving cars shouldn't listen to the radio/music etc just in case a faster car or a motorbike wants to overtake them? How about when you're driving the car and you come across, as you said, a Tractor/HGV coming around a blind corner on a narrow country lane, how would you know that it's there? That's what you call eliminating one of your senses.

Sure, driving a car isn't like riding a bike, but on a bike you can see more of what's ahead of you because you're higher up, and you're generally not going anywhere near as fast as the motorists would be. Common sense would also tell you to slow down for a blind bend to a sensible speed.

As for hearing cars, i was out on the bike before, and i have perfectly good hearing. I was riding at 28mph, and didn't hear that there was a car behind me until i heard the driver flooring it past me. The first i heard of it was when it was alongside me. I don't see how listening to music would not have made me hear the car earlier than when i did.

You comparison isn't a fair comparison tbh.
  • KillerMetre
    KillerMetre Posts: 199
    anto164 wrote:
    I'll try and control my opinion on this one.But for me it is pretty negligent,we are all up in arms when drivers use mobiles etc but when it comes to our own kind some seem to think that eliminating one of you senses is a sensible thing to do!

It's simple.Tractor/HGV coming around a blind corner on a narrow country lane,if you honestly believe that being able to hear the thing coming is not a significant safety advantage then,frankly,you are a genuine idiot.

So what you're saying is that people driving cars shouldn't listen to the radio/music etc just in case a faster car or a motorbike wants to overtake them? How about when you're driving the car and you come across, as you said, a Tractor/HGV coming around a blind corner on a narrow country lane, how would you know that it's there? That's what you call eliminating one of your senses.

Sure, driving a car isn't like riding a bike, but on a bike you can see more of what's ahead of you because you're higher up, and you're generally not going anywhere near as fast as the motorists would be. Common sense would also tell you to slow down for a blind bend to a sensible speed.

As for hearing cars, i was out on the bike before, and i have perfectly good hearing. I was riding at 28mph, and didn't hear that there was a car behind me until i heard the driver flooring it past me. The first i heard of it was when it was alongside me. I don't see how listening to music would not have made me hear the car earlier than when i did.

You comparison isn't a fair comparison tbh.

Maybe its for this very reason that 65% of all road fatalities occur on rural lanes.So,on what are statistically the most dangerous type of road I'd rather not VOLUNTARILY remove one of my senses.

Compare this to driving a car where inability to hear is essentially unavoidable but is slightly compensated for by the fact that your are in a big metal box.
  • Its down to personal preference (as the evidence in this post bears testament to...) and for me, Ive tried riding with earphones in, and I dont feel anywhere near as safe, but I do most of my riding on Dual carriageways that are used by a high number of foreign lorry drivers.

I dont think anyone should be demonised for riding with music going, especially when remembering that cycling is a sport that is fully availiable to deaf people, and they dont seem to have any more problems than someone with hearing does!
    exercise.png
  • Paul32uk
    Paul32uk Posts: 80
    Myself I donr listen to music whilst riding. I tend to zone out pretty easily and don't have the need for music to keep the legs pumping.

One thing to consider is that if you do have something in your ear, like a headphone socket, if you fall off and smack that ear on the floor the increse in pressure in the ear caused by the headphone can cause your ear drum to burst. I know most wear a helmet these days though which should keep the ear away from the road.

Myself I am thinking about starting to wear foam ear plugs to reduce wind noise as after a long ride I sometimes get a slight ringing in my ears. I'll use the ones I used to use on my motorbike as they only seemed to knock out wind noise and allowed me to still hear vehicles around me.

exercise.png
  • Rich Hcp wrote:
    I don't use my iPod on the bike, I prefer to hear what's going on around me.

The bloody earphones would probably fall out at a crucial mment!

Bloody hell, what are you listening to?
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Xiphon
    Xiphon Posts: 47
    edited August 2010
    Been riding with headphones since I was a kid borrowing my sisters tape walkman!

Depending on my mood, the music will define what type of riding I do that day - road, xc, jumping session, dh.... etc.

Lucky enough to have enough bikes for this ;)

It helps me keep pace too.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    When I first started I would use an iPod thinking it helped me stop getting bored. Forgetting to take it one day I realised you don't need one as you don't get bored. There's always something to be paying attention to or something in nature or the scenery to see. Even on a long ride I don't take an iPod anymore.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Paul_iow
    Paul_iow Posts: 110
    I always take my phone out with me, for obvious reasons, so I have always plugged a set of ear phones in and listen to music as I ride along. I dont see it as a problem and it is never loud enough to not heard stuff around you, cars/motorbikes etc.

I have also found I look back a lot more when listening to music which makes my riding safer. I feel I am more aware of cars around me when listening to music compared to when I dont.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you drive with the radio on?

Thats completely different. In my car at least I have 3 mirrors that show me whats behind me at all times.
    Plus cars overtaking me - well that really doesnt happen at all on rural roads, and on motorways and dual carriageways they always have a lane entirely to themselves so collision risk is minimal.
    And I dont often feel the need to swerve around potholes - my cars tyres can cope with it much better than 23mm wheels.

And there is a junction that I have to do that I turn the radio off - its a blind bend and I'll wind the windows down so I check to see if there is a car hurtling round the bend.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    How can anyone say they get bored cycling unless they have music blasted through their ears is beyond me. :shock:
    From a safety point of view iPods should be left at home. Just my opinion. However, what other folk do is up to them, doesn't bother me and if they want to do it then that's fine because I won't suffer.
    This was debated to death only a few months ago. :wink:
  • bikeboff
    bikeboff Posts: 87
    I have a brilliant Cy-Fi bike speaker which mounts on the handlebars. It is lightweight and small, and allows me to listen to music sometimes (it links wirelessly to my phone) without blocking out other sounds. I use it sensibly so it doesn't bother other people - and it seems to me to be an excellent solution.

It's not cheap though - there's always a caveat, eh?
  • Never thought I'd be able to do more than 30 miles without music but then my mrs got hold of my iPod now I'm cycling along and get Duran Duran. :roll: