Avid Elixir R pad problems

deaks101
deaks101 Posts: 26
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I currently have a Boardman MTB Pro hardtail with excellent Avid Elixir R disc brakes. I recently took the front wheel off so I could transport my bike in the rear of my car. However when i came to replace the front wheel the brake pads had closed up together so much that I couldnt fit the disc in between them. Does anyone know what the problem is and what can be done to fix it?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You have accidentally squeezed the brake lever we have all done it at some time..

You need to get a clean screwdriver and working from the bottom of the caliper you need to carefully force the pistons back. Dont attack it take it slowly wiggling and twisting the screwdriver blade between the pads. You should be able to slowly work the screwdriver in, the taper on the screwdriver blade going in further as the pistons creep back. Keep on until the pistons are all the way back into the caliper, refit wheel and pump the brakes to reset the pistons.

If your going to carry the bike without the wheel in you need a spacer to go between the pads. A bike shop should have some spares or you can make one out of a piece of card or plastic. I made some for my brakes out of a piece of plastic sign.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    You need to push the pads home. Get a big flathead screwdriver, and wiggle it lightly between the pads. It's normal behaviour, as they're supposed to get closer to the rotor as the pads wear.

Also try not to touch the lever when the wheel is out. The one time you press it all the way in, you'll have the pads out and the pistons will pop out, never to be returned :p