Coed Y Brenin disapointment

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oh yeah :oops:
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    The Ogwen Valley projector breaks down a lot too.
    This is a view across to Tryfan from the summit of Y Garn. :(

57SummitCairnYGarnsmall.jpg
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    T1berious wrote:

Cannock is my local trail and I have to disagree, Coed Y Brenin (especially if it's been wet) is a trail worthy of it's Mecca like status. The rocky berms were pretty awesome, plus there's a big selection of trails.

+1

I ride Cannock pretty much every week and it is great for what it is but to compare it to Coed y Brenin is just getting silly. The bike shop and the coffee is better but that's it.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I'm supprised that you managed to compare cannock to any trails in wales. From my experience it was pretty lame and boring due to a pure lack of height,

I live locally too Afan too i love dragons back and all, But i do find alot of people start to dislike trails as soon as they go over 25km.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Tryfan eh?

They just remeasured it recently to see if it "was" 3,000ft.

Well, I'm pleased to announce it was much higher, in fact it had "grown" a bit too.

Think it's the locals dumping their Lob Scaws on top of it...
  • Do the Beast but bin the pointless fire road out and back loop. Then you end up with a trail that's as long as whatever the long route is called now (Dragon's back) but with more technical stuff.
    Stop at the bungalow Cafe. Avoid the trail centre cafe; it's no good.

The trail centre is higher than the river crossing so you do more ascent than descent at the end. Got to get up to get down.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 27888&z=13
  • Local to Cannock as well and have to agree that whilst it is greatly improved with the Monkey, it does not compare to Brenin, which I thought it was a great place to ride. Cannock also suffers from the sheer volume of use that it gets and the subsiquent affect on the trails. Prefer Cannock to Llandegla and Marin, but not the others.

Not sure what the issue is with fireroads. Nothing wrong with a bit of climbing to help the fitness and endurance, and some of the views are great. As already mentioned mountain biking does suggest the possibility of going uphill at times....

I would have thought Tryfan would go down in size. All those people jumping Adam and Eve would surely erode it?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    phildavis wrote:
    Afan, Dalby and now Cannock wee-wee all over it. Who ever designed a trail with so much fire road wants shafting, what a waist of a 4 hr drive...
    Can't comment on Afan or Cannock but Dulby better thab C-Y-B :P Dulby is by far the most boring samey trail I've ever ridden,it's nearly as poor as Sherwood Pines.I would drive double the distance and do the Marin rather than Dulby.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dalby is fine but it is a totally different kind of trail to CYB and cant be compared its chalk and cheese. I like Dalby its a trail that you can just pedal flat out knowing nothing is going to bite you hard if it goes wrong its a legs and lungs non stop go for the record course. Whereas CYB is more of a technical do a section stop admire the view and chat to your mates course.

Both are fun in there different ways.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I quite enjoy long climbs, makes the down hill even more worth while. Love the single track a coed y brenin, it always puts a big smile on my face :)
  • I went to CYB in April this year with 3 other mates and have to say i can see why they call it the Daddy, Loved the place and the only down side to this is we had to come home.
    Will be back again thats for sure and we stayed in Barmouth B&B :lol:

Dafydd Davis your a legend :lol:
    Yeti 575,Specialized Turbo levo