Sizing

jadamson
jadamson Posts: 644
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
Do you think a 17" Ironhorse azure frame for a 5'11 and 3 quarters (nearly 6") rider is too small? and wether it can be solved with a longer stem 80-100 and layback seatpost?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Try it and see. Frames differ a lot and just going on the quoted size isn't enough. I find some 18" frames too big for me (5'7") and yet my current one is just right.

Just make sure the stand over is good, and the arms not locked straight in a riding position, but only way to be sure it's comfortable is to ride it properly (not just around the car park). But yeah, some things can be adjusted with seat, stems, risers, etc.

If you're going to do technical descents you'll need to be able to lower the seat, and then if you've compensated for a small frame by raising the seat a lot, will it be high enough for climbs.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    To me bikes are like a pair of jeans, they have to fit right (unless your one of those emo's or whatever they call themselves who have there ass hanging out of them) so tottaly agree with the above...only you can decide if it feels right. I have two large frames for general uk riding but when in the Alps usually I go for a medium spicy as it feels better and is more chuckable on fast decents...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • handon94
    handon94 Posts: 137
    Pudseyp wrote:
    To me bikes are like a pair of jeans, they have to fit right (unless your one of those emo's or whatever they call themselves who have there ass hanging out of them) so tottaly agree with the above...only you can decide if it feels right. I have two large frames for general uk riding but when in the Alps usually I go for a medium spicy as it feels better and is more chuckable on fast decents...

haha if you ever see one shout out your car pull up your pants and they don half get embarrassed :lol:
    diamondback LS02
    giant talon 2 -http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/handon_2010/?action=view&current=Photo0069.jpg&newest=1

"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."