Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Beginners Winter Kit

blns75blns75 Posts: 15
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Just getting back into a bit of cycling and already the days are getting shorter and I can feel the winter approaching.

I don't want any easy excuses to not go out on my bike when the weather doesn't look great so am thinking about what I might need clothing wise.

Currently using short sleeve base layer, jersey/windstopper (Endura MT500 I think) and baggy shorts. Also have a race cape and overshoes from a long time ago when I used to race.

Are waterproof trousers really practical for training rides (short slow ones at the moment), if not, are tights ok on their own as they won't look too clever over the top of my baggy shorts?

What about a proper waterproof/winter jacket, anyone use Endura MT 500 jacket during the colder months? Is it enough?

Anything else I might have missed for beginner winter kit?

Not looking to spend a fortune as just started riding again and it may turn into a fad/mid life crisis/fair weather hobby.

thanks

Posts

  • softladsoftlad Posts: 3,513
    blns75 wrote:
    Just getting back into a bit of cycling and already the days are getting shorter and I can feel the winter approaching.

    seriously..?? It's the middle of summer....
  • AggieboyAggieboy Posts: 3,996
    softlad wrote:
    blns75 wrote:
    Just getting back into a bit of cycling and already the days are getting shorter and I can feel the winter approaching.

    seriously..?? It's the middle of summer....

    I think he missed out the words, 'of my life' after winter.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • softladsoftlad Posts: 3,513
    Aggieboy wrote:

    I think he missed out the words, 'of my life' after winter.

    I can relate to that.. ;)
  • jamlalajamlala Posts: 284
    Nights definitely drawing in.......
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    [email protected]    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • sundogsundog Posts: 243
    I would make sure of some waterproof gloves, skull cap, thermal tights/ top.

    When it gets really cold then an Endura eVent jacket or similar.

    I also have earwarmers, thermal/ waterproof socks and winter shoes. Never used overshoes but they are cheap and some people swear by them.
    I like white bikes
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Nights drawing in? Flipping eck, it's not even August. Plenty more time to worry about winter wear, although I did think about wearing my overshoes tonight on my training 50... nothing worse than feet that are soaked to the bone early on. Thought bug*er it, which was just as well because it didn't even rain despite the forecast :)
  • PhilbyPhilby Posts: 328
    Overshoes, skull cap and merino base layer
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Windproofing and warmth is far better than trying to keep the rain off - most waterproofs simply don't have the ability to remove the water vapour when riding hard - you simply end up clammy and cold. I only ever put on waterproofs when it's raining hard and I've never found any waterproof trousers that you could cycle in beyond a moderate pace - a pair of fleecy tights and the heat generated from your muscles will keep you warm.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • solsurfsolsurf Posts: 489
    the best waterproof top you can afford, not for its waterproofness but so it breathes, long leg tights (wear baggies over the top if you dont like the look) either water proof shoes or overshoes, warm gloves (hands and feet get cold) buff for the head and your sorted. If you can afford a merino wool base layer then you really have it sorted. The only down side is it will probably cost you around £250 for good kit, start buying now and you may get some good stuff in the sales. Remember your lights.

    I managed down to -13 this year but I think thats my limit.
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 9,545
    This is the maybe the best bit of winter kit I ever bought. It's waterproof, breathable and it just stops the wind dead in its blustery tracks.

    http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=141

    What everyone on here has said so far is spot on, including the point about winter being a long way off!
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • mswmsw Posts: 313
    I'd just add that it's easy to put too much on. I got it wrong so often that I started writing down what I wore and the temperature: results suggest that my order of priority would be:

    - long-fingered gloves
    - neoprene overshoes
    - merino base layer - long sleeves mean you don't need armwarmers as well if it's really cold, but short sleeves more versatile
    - midweight bib tights - I find the really fleecy full length ones too warm above about 5 degrees
    - woolly hat that fits under a helmet, but a cap will do

    From experience that would get me through anything down to 0 degrees outside and you said you already had the base layer and overshoes.

    I guess it's really about the order things get cold in: feet, hands, torso, head/ears, then legs last - they're doing all the work.

    Rain jackets that don't get too hot are difficult to find but I've got a Gore Windstopper one that I love: it wasn't cheap (about £80 reduced from £120-ish) but it's perfect for very cold days with just a base layer and bibshorts underneath.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • blns75blns75 Posts: 15
    Thanks for the replies, looks like I gave to bite the bullet and wear Lycra tights. Can't believe I forgot about gloves, possibly a new wind/waterproof if what I have is not up to it, that should be it.

    Winter comment was because a month ago I managed a couple of evening rides in the week, but now by the time I am home and ready to go out it is getting dark. I also only own shorts so was worried once any bad weather turned up i would just put the bike in the cellar and forget about it.
  • rakerake Posts: 3,204
    i rate sealskinz socks. flourescent jacket.clear glasses for rain.
  • a_n_ta_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Ben6899 wrote:
    This is the maybe the best bit of winter kit I ever bought. It's waterproof, breathable and it just stops the wind dead in its blustery tracks.

    http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=141

    +1 Amazing bit of kit.
    Manchester wheelers

    PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Rich HcpRich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    blns75 wrote:
    Just getting back into a bit of cycling and already the days are getting shorter and I can feel the winter approaching.

    Its only 1st August!

    Cheer up!
    Richard

    Giving it Large
  • Rich HcpRich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    msw wrote:
    I'd just add that it's easy to put too much on. I got it wrong so often that I started writing down what I wore and the temperature: results suggest that my order of priority would be:

    - long-fingered gloves
    - neoprene overshoes
    - merino base layer - long sleeves mean you don't need armwarmers as well if it's really cold, but short sleeves more versatile
    - midweight bib tights - I find the really fleecy full length ones too warm above about 5 degrees
    - woolly hat that fits under a helmet, but a cap will do

    From experience that would get me through anything down to 0 degrees outside and you said you already had the base layer and overshoes.

    I guess it's really about the order things get cold in: feet, hands, torso, head/ears, then legs last - they're doing all the work.

    Rain jackets that don't get too hot are difficult to find.
    +1

    Too many kayers is the first mistake, stay dry and windproff and you don't need tooomany layers
    Richard

    Giving it Large
  • Rich HcpRich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    blns75 wrote:
    I also only own shorts so was worried once any bad weather turned up i would just put the bike in the cellar and forget about it.

    You can wear shorts until its quite chilly, Lycra ones are warmer than baggies, you've got to bite ther bullet for this, they're best for the job,

    Mid-weight bib-lights are great, I've been out at -2 degrees, maybe less, with no problem.

    The other thing is that I start off feeling slightly cold, knowing I'll warm up.

    Start off warm and tioasty and you'll over heat
    Richard

    Giving it Large
  • bearfraserbearfraser Posts: 435
    Lights,lights,lights, remember those [email protected] in Beemers are worse in the dark nights!!!!!!!!
  • jthefjthef Posts: 226
    I purchased a Gore windstopper jacket the other year and in last winter used it all but the coldest days (lower than -5 ) with only a craft base layer :D really pleased with it.
    Gloves found the Altura night vision are good used all winter with only the odd cold finger on the coldest mornings.
    I use Lusso max repel bib tights as they keep me warm even when its raining and use bib shorts or 3/4 bib shorts when cold.
    I cant stress that in the cooler times wind stop material is a god send, it avoids you having to wear jackets and suffer the boil in the bag effect.
    Look at the sale stuff whats in your budget but remember you need to be seen!
  • Rich HcpRich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Oh, I forgot overshoes!

    I was sceptical about using overshoes, but they really do keep yopur feet warm and dry
    Richard

    Giving it Large
Sign In or Register to comment.