Is it worth it?

dugliss
dugliss Posts: 235
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I`m getting this growing urge that I want a road bike but have no disposable cash. I can get a c2w Halfords voucher but only up to £500 so I`m either looking at something like a Giant Defy 4 or one of the cheaper Carreras but not the Vanquish as it`s over £500. I have a basic Boardman hybrid which I like but I can`t shift this urge. Is it worth getting the Giant or should I just stick with the flat bar Boardman which is perfectly fine?

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I read this as...

Newcastle
    Is it worth it?

:lol: NO

In answer to your question
    get another bike.. ride both and you'll see how much easier the roadie is...
    plus when one needs repair etc you don't have to use PT
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dugliss
    Would a £500 road bike really be that much different to what I already have which I see as a flat barred road bike with disc brakes
  • Clever Pun
    dugliss wrote:
    Would a £500 road bike really be that much different to what I already have which I see as a flat barred road bike with disc brakes

2 bikes better than 1

undeniable logic

plus it wont cost you £500 it'd cost more like 300 over a whole year and that's practically negligable
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • dugliss
    I like your reasoning, maybe you could come and explain it that way to Mrs Dugliss
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Here's a post on the Defy which you my find helpful.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12630983&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I've got a Defy 2 09 model and think it's great. If you are getting an aluminium bike, try to get one with carbon forks to reduce road chatter.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Clever Pun
    dugliss wrote:
    I like your reasoning, maybe you could come and explain it that way to Mrs Dugliss

Don't tell her until it's too late

I'm looking at a rather pretty bike that I just can't justify in anyway way whatsoever, yet still want....
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if you get grief for having too many bikes, flog the hybrid and get some quality wheels for longer rides in the summer :-)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    do it. do it. do it.

im attempting to justify to myself that saving £1800 to spend on a frame and fork is too much... but im going to save up for it anyway!