Ribble Gran Fondo vs Planet X

armsonfire
armsonfire Posts: 35
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
what would u guye recommend the ribble gran fondo with campag centaur groupset or a planet x with sram rival groupset. or any other recomendations??

Comments

• Hi, I had the Ribble Sportive before an HGV decided to remodel the rear end of it!! :shock:

When I got my compensation I couldn't get an other Sportive because they were out of stock and ther was a 3 month waiting list for them so I bought a PX with SRAM Rival. PX is definitely really good value and I don't how they punt them out at that price! My Ribble was another £400 on top of the PX!

To be honest it all depends what you want to do. The Ribble was extremely comfortable and good for ton up rides (obviously why they named it the Sportive). The PX is more race orientated and definitely a lot twitchier whereas the Ribble always feels planted.

I know that you have listed the Gran Fondo, but I wouldn't imagine there is a great deal of difference between it and the Sportive.

Ribble was kitted out in Ultegra, but I am definitely a SRAM convert now. Takes a couple of days to get used to, but I prefer the double-tap system now.

Oh, If you like the front end of your bike to feel stable on fast descents don't buy the PX (my opinion only!!)
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the Gran Fondo frame is GORGEOUS in the flesh - really good looking bike!

I know this doesn't help you that much as you are looking for which is better - I'm not sure on that - but the gran fondo is a real stunning looking bike - when I saw it last time I was over at ribble I couldn't believe they were putting it out at the price they do.
  • thanx for the advice guys. think i will eventually go for the the ribble, because of the looks and the comfort as i will b doing Lands End to John O'groats on it riding over 8 days.
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Alright mate. Ive got a Gran Fondo. Realy like it! Looks fantastic! Always have people saying "nice bike" etc....

My only complaint is that the Forks are not carbon. Mine are definitly some kind of Aloy! And they (forks) weigh a lot. 650g!!!
    Doesnt sound much but it is!
    My whole bike weighs 10.3kg. And its the forks that put the weight up.

Gran Fondo Frame: 1200g
    Gran Fondo Forks: 650g
    Total: 1.85kg. = heavy!

Quite heavy for a carbon bike!
    You could get a Titanium frame bike that would weigh the same.

Anyway. Point is the forks put the weight right up!
    650g is alot for forks!

Carbon Easton forks are around 250g. Now thats more like it!

But the Gran Fondo does look the biz! there is a pic of mine on the "your road bikes" section of the forum.
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    also @ Armsonfire:

Are you doing LEJOG with a company who will carry all your gear?

The Gran Fondo wont take Paniers or Mud Guards, so that could be an issue.

I was also thinking of doing LEJOG or JOGLE, and it was the inspiration for me buying my first road bike in Feb 2010. I bought the Gran Fondo. But i wouldnt do LEJOG unless there was a mini bus/car that was going to carry all my clean kit etc..

just something to think about.
  • hi. were doing it as a group through who i work for but we are having a support rider all the way with us. we are doing in june/ july time next year. i am liking the look of the gran fondo. how do u find it. is it heavyish for a carbon bike.