Any other climbs located close to Mont Ventoux ?

broachboy
broachboy Posts: 429
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi forum goers

I am off to ride Mont Ventoux in September, and I have heard many stories that it is out on its own as regards terrain (I have heard that it is the only mountain visible from many miles around). I would like to take the chance to fit in some other climbs while I am there, so are there any other climbs of note within a short driving distance :?:

Surely some of you mega experienced forummers must know :wink::lol:
Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have a look at the 2009 etape route for starters.
  • broachboy
    OK will do :wink:

Cheers many thanks
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    I've logged the best cols in the immediate surrounding area here:

http://www.montventouxwebcam.com/pdf/cols.pdf
  • broachboy
    Many thanks craig, that is awesome :wink::D
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • craigenty
    There's many many more but no HC cols I'm afraid.
    The cycling into the Baronies hills to the north of Mont Ventoux is awesome and by linking a few of those smaller cols together you get a great day out.
  • SteK
    SteK Posts: 148
    That list is awesome!

Depending on where you're staying there's a naughty little climb up Mont Bouquet which is in Brouzet les Ales - it's around 100km west of the Mont Ventoux so will depend on your location I guess. It's obviously way shorter but very steep in places and offers an awesome view from the top. It's set in stunning countryside and there are some great valleys to tie into the ride if you want a bit of a change of location one day!
  • craigenty
    SteK wrote:
    That list is awesome!

Depending on where you're staying there's a naughty little climb up Mont Bouquet which is in Brouzet les Ales - it's around 100km west of the Mont Ventoux so will depend on your location I guess. It's obviously way shorter but very steep in places and offers an awesome view from the top. It's set in stunning countryside and there are some great valleys to tie into the ride if you want a bit of a change of location one day!

I know it well - the Routes des Helvien cyclosportive from Barjac takes you up there. The 20% section is a killer when you're trying to stay with the bunch.
  • SteK
    SteK Posts: 148
    Ouch - fortunately the only person I had with me was my 19 stone friend so I wasn't the one trying to keep a wheel!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    From experience, I would recommend the Montagne de Lure - stiff little ride up to about 1800 metres with the reward of great views from the top. You can also go over the back and do a circuit of it, but we didn't.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• if you do Col de Notre Dame des Abeilles from the west side (which is a tougher climb than you might think, continue towards Sault but turn off to the right before Sault to return on the road parralell through Le gorge de la Nesque. It' a lovely gorge and a nice steady climb. Best of all there were hardly any cars lot number of bikes. I've read elsewhere that there a re few cars using it. Highly recommended.
    agree that the Barronies Massif(st Euphemie, Bellecombe tarentol St Jalle gives a nice circuit and some climbing. You are going round the rim of a bowl'.
    There is a great view from Col St Jean a bit below and west of col de Perty as you can see the snow capped southern Alps some 30 miles away.
    I spent 6 days touring around , good days ouit at 50 to 70 miles
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    You could try cycling to Sault from Villes-sur-auzon along the D1. Driving back from Sault to our campsite it struck me as a very scenic route worth cycling. You could then go on from Sault to climb the Ventoux.
  • I have been told the Montagne de Lure is a great climb aswell. Not done it myself, though.