2nd hand carbon wheels

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited July 2010 in The bottom bracket
Almost a double post I know...........

I've been offered some carbon wheels for £500, see:
http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16360004#16360004

Can anyone offer any advice on these please ?

Cheers......... Matt
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They are good wheels. I would go for it as you know their history and how they have been treated by the last owner, its not like you are buying blind. Mind you, you do only really get the benefit on deep sections at speeds of 40kph and above, they may be too flash for everyday riding. Mind you they are nice wheels, so why not ride them all the time ? :D
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Lovely wheels for the money (tubular or clincher)? but poss. a bit too good for everday riding and not for the commute. I have to agree that unless you get up to speed they won't have any noticeable differences but a nice bit of kit.

If they are carbon rims don't forget you need to change to specific brake blocks and DON'T ride them in the wet until you've assessed your braking
    M.Rushton
  • MattC59
    The wheels are clincher.

I realise that these are probably a little too good for everyday riding, and more than likely too good for my needs. They're certainly too good for commuting (especially as I work from home :D ) and I probably won't get the aero advantage from them.

However, as I was considering spending approx £450 on a set of wheels, then this seems a good buy (especially as they appear to be about £1400 a set when new).

At £1400, I wouldn't buy them, as I'd not get the benefits / advantages of the carbon aero rim, in my type of cycling. But at £500 does this matter ?

So the bottom line is: £500 for a £1400 set of wheels. Does the price advantage outweigh any disadvantages ?

Would I be better spending £450 on the Fulcrum Racing 3s or £500 on the above ?

cheers....... Matt
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Its carbon, and a good price, WHATS WRONG WITH YOU??? TAKE EM!!!!!

:lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • MattC59
    thel33ter wrote:
    Its carbon, and a good price, WHATS WRONG WITH YOU??? TAKE EM!!!!!

:lol:

True :D but I'm more of a function over form man............
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    i've been offered a set of carbon wheels for £400 and am also not sure what to do. I've got bontrager wheels at the moment and am not sure if i'd get the benefit as i'm a very newbie to cycling but dont wanna pass up the opportunity if its a bargain! I feel your dilemma matt
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    i've been offered a set of carbon wheels for £400 and am also not sure what to do. I've got bontrager wheels at the moment and am not sure if i'd get the benefit as i'm a very newbie to cycling but dont wanna pass up the opportunity if its a bargain! I feel your dilemma matt
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I can't imagine ever having a need for Zipp 404s or a set of Lightweights but if offered to me for about 30% of the rrp and in good condition I'd have them just to look at. Chances are you can try them and if you don't like them sell them for what you bought them for. Besides you'll be doing people on here a favour as if you don't buy them someone like me will want a shot at them (and I don't need them).
    M.Rushton
  • MattC59
    louthepoo wrote:
    Exactly my dilemma !!

The type of cycling I do doesn't warrant a set of Aero wheels, but they are gorgeous and a fantastic price !!

One or two of my mates have suggested that a set of Mavics / Fulcrums / Dura Ace wheels for the same price (£450-£500) would be lighter. Are these areo wheels going be noticeably heavier ?

I read a few (hours of trawling the web) reviews last night, and they all seem to suggest that despite the extra weight, they're a good all round wheel.

I think I may be convincing myself............ the Mrs will kill me, I wonder if she'll notice ?!?! :D
  • Anonymous
    Nah, she won't notice. just leave the top off the toothpaste as a distraction and then slip in that you have got a really good deal on the wheels. Also tell her they are £1000, then 2 days later tell her how much they you have haggled them down to. Putty in your hands. :wink:
  • MattC59
    Come on folks, I can't believe that of all the people that view this site, no one's else has an opinion ?!?! :?
  • Anonymous
    I think its a no-brainer, hence the lack of pick up from the rest of the cake-stoppers. :wink:
  • MattC59
    I think you might be right ! Looks like I'll have a set of full carbon aero wheels on my Trek 1.9 then.......... they're worth more then the bike was new :D:D:D

I bet I get a few sneering looks and muttered "all the gear no idea" type comments........ jealousy of course :lol:
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    MattC59 wrote:
    I think you might be right ! Looks like I'll have a set of full carbon aero wheels on my Trek 1.9 then.......... they're worth more then the bike was new :D:D:D

I bet I get a few sneering looks and muttered "all the gear no idea" type comments........ jealousy of course :lol:

I keep seeing disc wheels cheapish, but the won't be great for my commute, panniers and all, but it's still tempting.

As for the wife, don't say they cost £400, say you saved £1000

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t-10-37619

Ignore the heavy weight bit, 1.5kg for a wheelset is pretty damn light.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy