Thumb pain

Boy Lard
Boy Lard Posts: 445
edited July 2010 in MTB general
I'm slowly increasing the amount of time and distance I am ding on the bike, and thankfully most of it is off road. At first when my thumbs were aching a bit I thought it was just because they needed to get stronger, or get used to rougher treatment, but I'm beginning to think the problem is a bit more long term.

I've had a scout around the net and it seems quite a common problem. There are lots of tips, the main ones being to alter position of brake levers and shifters and to try egro grips. I was wondering though if it may be because of the way I brake. I've noticed some people just using 1 or 2 fingers to brake, normally the index and middle finger. I seem to keep hold of the bars with my index finger and thumb, and have my other three fingers on the brake lever.

Also, to keep the palms of my hands on the grips, my fingers are not pointing forward any more, but are pointing 'inwards'. I need to alter my grip ever time I shift gears. I'm pretty sure that the ache in my thumbs is not caused by the actual shifting, but after a while my thumbs sort of feel a bit weak and I do notice it more when shifting.

I would like to know what fingers people generally use to brake with, whether anyone else has a similar problem and what you would suggest to sort it out. As I have said, I've had a look around on other forums and have a few suggestion, just wanted to know what people on here thought.