10 speed SLX cassette onto Shimano M475

anoyceperson
anoyceperson Posts: 66
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

As the title really, I am getting some wheels with a Shimano M475 hub on it (been rebuilt with better internals from a newer hub). It currently has a 9 speed cassette on it.

I however am looking to get the groupset below that uses a 10speed cassette.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... OUP-10.htm

Simple question.. will it fit, or do I need a different hub?

Comments

• gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    it will fit but are you sure you want 10sp ?
  • Erm.. I thought I did. I had decided to get myself the full groupset, and the new ones come with 10 speed cassettes. Is there any reason why I wouldnt want a 10 speed cassette?
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    this is just what Ive read not from experience

frame alignment has tobe spot on as they have squeezed another cog in.

Shifting will go out easier

10sp doesn't like mud all that much

wear will increase as everything has got narrower

I personally wont be heading that way i fail to see any advantage , but i do use a 10sp chain its a weight thing
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Can't see a massive issue with it.

10 speed is relatively new to mtb and probably not required.

Its just a evolution for the manufacturers so that they have new stuff to sell us.

Only other issues I could see would be the strength of a thinner chain and at some point, possibly, the sensitivity of the indexing given the finer increments between gears might become an issue, especially in the middle of our winter when everything is covered in mud and grit :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Shifting will go out easier

10sp doesn't like mud all that much

wear will increase as everything has got narrower

I personally wont be heading that way i fail to see any advantage , but i do use a 10sp chain its a weight thing

I've been on 10 speed all year, and none of those have proven valid frankly, not noticeably so anyway!

The wider ratio cassette makes a double chainset more feasible for the masses, although Shimano seem not to be capitalising on that. I'm less convinced of the merit if you stay with a triple chainset.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SHimano have double chainsets too, and a wide range front mech.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    People sound exactly the same as the last time a extra cog was added, and the same before that, and before that.....