Manchester Skyride on Sunday / Ironman UK

wizzlebanger
wizzlebanger Posts: 177
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone attending the Skyride at Manchester? Having not been to one before are they worth it?

It's also IronMan UK in the northwest this weekend so lot's of roads closed. I'll be watching the cycle stage go past where I live at about 7am!

Cheers.
FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
Baggies +1
SPD's -1
Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Think you may get more response by posting in correct section.

Try Rides or Racing sections
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • wizzlebanger
    Posted it here as I thought there may be some commuters who would or have at some point ridden in a Skyride event as most of them are held in major cities.

If we are going to be pedantic about which section threads should be started in then we could probably say the same about most of the topics today.

Oh maybe I should just stick an OT in front of the subject as this obviously means I can post anything anywhere.

And to think it's Friday! :lol:

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    I have the same question about the London Skyride. Is it worth it? Whats the score? etc.. etc... I was going to post on here too as its just for a 'social ride' rather than a race/sportive.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • wizzlebanger
    As far as I can tell you just turn up at some point on the route, pootle round for as long as you want and then go home. Think there are bands playing and entertainment knocking around.

I might give the Manc one a look on Sunday if I'm not busy / allowed to by the wife. :wink:

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Posted it here as I thought there may be some commuters who would or have at some point ridden in a Skyride event as most of them are held in major cities.

If we are going to be pedantic about which section threads should be started in then we could probably say the same about most of the topics today.

Oh maybe I should just stick an OT in front of the subject as this obviously means I can post anything anywhere.

Take offence if you wish

I was trying to be helpful. You had made a post and got no replies

You have posted in a thread for commuting- it is a limited appeal section. You are limiting yourself to commuters here

If you post in the more general rides thread, you are more likely to get opinions of people who take part.

Have you ever wondered why there are different sections on the board?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Posted it here as I thought there may be some commuters who would or have at some point ridden in a Skyride event as most of them are held in major cities.

To be fair, I thought Spen was trying to be helpful and suggest where you might get a better response, given that you had not had a single response in the 90 mins after posting.

Edit: oops, Spen got back in while I was reading the thread and replying.
  • wizzlebanger
    Obviously how a person writes something and how another interprets it when read can be very different things.

Apologies for jumping on it if it wasn't intended to belittle. (Alas, my basic stance on most forums is that there is always someone out there looking for an argument)

Sorry Spen666.

However, I did think that someone on the commuting forum may have had some experience of the skyride which is why I posted it here.

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    WB youll get used to spen he's just a big cuddly teddy bear really ( :wink: ) fair point though, just put across with his usual direct style. you could try reposting it in the cake stop for a cross section of interest.

I'm a skyriding commuter miffed I'll be missing Sunday's jaunt as I'm off on me jollies tomoz.

They're a convivial pootle with a bit of entertainment on the side, last years was centred on the velodrome into the city centre but this one seems to be even more central. its good to roll round and chat - I'm no fan of Citical Mass at all but this is in much the same vein giving over the streets to bikes only with official sanction, no potential for confrontation and a happier vibe.

if you have a look at the goskyride website they do plenty of jaunts for all different abilities and interests every weekend. I've done a few of the moderate ones with my 11year old and they're a nice way of passing an afternoon with like minded people and chilled friendly guides.

give it a go.