London Cycle hire is here

Comments

• Kushtrim
    Kushtrim Posts: 12
    I hope the black cabs don't get too agressive since it is going to take away a fair amount of their business. Not that they can't afford to loose some the lazy so and so's.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Hope my key arrives tomorrow, I want to ride pi$$ed right up from Kings cross to victoria tomorrow night

seems the obvious thing to do... rather that than a night bus
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Hope my key arrives tomorrow, I want to ride pi$$ed right up from Kings cross to victoria tomorrow night

I feel a post morpeth race coming on..
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Irvinet wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Oyster might be good if you are a resident but a pain if you aren't.

How would it be more of a pain than the key?

I am not suggesting they remove the existing direct credit card option...

+1

I'm not a resident but I have an Oyster card & will register for this as i don't want the faff of using my credit card each time i want a bike.
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    Irvinet wrote:
    My main criticism is the bloody stupid keys... I don't carry keys so this big thick plastic thing has to live in my wallet. Why, why, WHY did they not integrate into Oyster?? I can not believe they decided against this. Unforgivable stupidity.

The security of the bike is that you've used a credit/debit card to access the bike. People lend their friends their Oyster cards, but wouldn't lend their credit/debit cards out.
  • coulcher
    coulcher Posts: 95
    Irvinet wrote:

Most importantly, they are going to have to sort out distribution. All three stations I saw in The City were either totally full or had only one slot open, which I then filled. It would be very irritating if you had to ride round in circles searching for a place to drop off your bike, especially if you are close to the end of that magic 30min free window.

They said that part of the reason for having a one month limited members only period was to analyse the distribution & usage patterns before they scale up the scheme. I'm sure (you hope) they have had a good look at all the other schemes worldwide and tried to incorporate all their lessons.

I really hope this is a great success. As someone who's cycled in London for 20 years you sometimes forget how much cycling has grown in London. In 1991 I could probably count on one hand the number of non-courier cyclists I would see on my 30 min ride to university.
  • helz
    helz Posts: 406
    There's an android app for London Cycle Hire which I've just added to my phone. It tells you where your nearest docking station is, how to get there and how many bikes and slots are currently available. For instance I can tell you that there are 18 slots but no bikes at Bermondsey St at the moment yet there are 20 bikes but no slots at Long Lane. Interesting! To get the app search for "little fluffy toys".
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • helz
    Now there are 9 slots at Bermondsey St and 9 bikes. Phew. Long Lane depot has evened out too.
    MAN this phone is turning me into such a geek. I really need to switch it off and go to sleep now. Goodnight cycling community x
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • OldSkoolKona
    Awesome, thanks for the Android app tip (only got my HTC desire a couple of weeks ago and loving the bike apps)
    Cycling home tonight, was great to see the stations being well used given its only just launched.
  • OldSkoolKona
    App installed (little fluffy toys refers to the developer incase you were wondering :-)) and works great. It is in live time, so you can see how many bikes are free and it also shows you were the nearest hire station is. Completely ad free, just a simple app that does the job and runs really smoothly. Only downside is it works so well you'll get hooked on it watching to see the take up of the system!
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Saw many on my way home, very nice to see. Had a look at one, they are very heavy.

Only one annoying observation - a lady on one pulled a crazy move just near Holborn, swinging from the one lane to the next lane with no indication, I nearly hit her and a car nearly did too.
  • My main criticism is the bloody stupid keys... I don't carry keys so this big thick plastic thing has to live in my wallet. Why, why, WHY did they not integrate into Oyster?? I can not believe they decided against this. Unforgivable stupidity.
    The reason for the key/no oyster etc. was that Boris demanded a schedule speedup of a whole year. This meant that there was no time to invent something new, they had to adopt an existing scheme, "as is". They chose the Montreal scheme.

Given the amount of time, and money too, that TfL might have wasted reinventing the bike wheel, Boris might have made a wise decision

Jeremy Parker
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    1) the bikes are suprisingly easy to trackstand
    2) the front carrier is fairly useless for carrying luggage, but makes an excellent forward position handlebar and you can get a decent aero tuck resting your elbows on the brake hoods
    <a>road</a>
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    My main criticism is the bloody stupid keys... I don't carry keys so this big thick plastic thing has to live in my wallet. Why, why, WHY did they not integrate into Oyster?? I can not believe they decided against this. Unforgivable stupidity.
    The reason for the key/no oyster etc. was that Boris demanded a schedule speedup of a whole year. This meant that there was no time to invent something new, they had to adopt an existing scheme, "as is". They chose the Montreal scheme.

Given the amount of time, and money too, that TfL might have wasted reinventing the bike wheel, Boris might have made a wise decision

I suspected that it had to be something like that. I am happy that we don't have to wait another year but it is still a shame.

Had a good go at becoming an early statistic on the scheme Saturday night. I doubled the wife back to the station for the last train home after quite a few drinks.. Got a lot of very dirty looks from the pedallo vultures! :)

I think the bikes are great.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I managed to unFAIL the bikes on Saturday. Apparently you need to really yank the bars to get the bike unlocked from the frame, not a genteel pull.

My first thoughts after riding them is that they are massively undergeared, with a huge rear cog. I think the top gear is about 60GI, as you spin out anytime you get near a downhill, and I really can't see any need for the lowest gear they have. I suppose they are designed to go slow and not scare new riders, but anyone who has been on a bike on a semi-regular basis will find them undergeared by a long way.

The saddle is a beast. It's too far forward, massive, and rather uncomfortable. I didn't see any way of moving it back on the seatpost, and would guess this is to stop fiddling.

The front rack is rubbish, seemingly designed for briefcases only, and it's crying out for a rear rack with a spring clamp for shoving a shopping bag under. Weight on the back is always preferable to the front where the rack is now. Poor design from a rideability point of view.

Brakes and steaering were pretty good. I managed to get a decent skid from the rear brake, and the front reacted well, stopping me nicely, with decent feel.

Generally, it's a good scheme, though. If you're in town (and signed up, of course), then you're always just a couple of hundred yards from a free bike you can use to get anywhere within Zone 1. It's not a scheme designed for long trips, or proper commuting, just to replace short hop bus and tube journeys, and it should be applauded.

I'm planning to use one from Liverpool St to Victoria next week, so that'll be a test of just how good they are round the Embankment!
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    i'm wondering if i could 'bike hop' from central line zone 2 Bethnal Green(?) to Paddington...hmmm, some planning required
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • Going to have to sign up and look at Fenchurch Street to St James's Street to replace the district line
    Summer Bike - Orbea Onix (Ultegra)/American Classics Carbon 58 wheels
    Winter Bike - Boardman Team Carbon (Rival)/Mavic Krysiums
    Commuter - Reynolds Steel Single Speed
    Family Bike - Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Training -Specialized Langster
    MTB -Carrera Vengeance
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hurry up access key and arrive. Perfect opportunity to use a Boris bike today at lunch but no, keyfob not arrived yet. Sold something on ebay, buyer happened to work in Lambeth and I work at St Pauls so rather than send it via the post office I thought I'd do the nice thing and drop it off at lunch.

Bet the key will be waiting for me at home :?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • helz
    I can't sign up to it, every time I put in my address details, type in a password, answer the security question etc. and click "continue" it just takes me back to the previous screen. Has anyone else had this problem?
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • Hmmm, no Helz I haven't although I am still waiting fo rmy key.

Call their customer support line - it's the 0845 number that appears listed as something else. They were relatively helpful...
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Clever Pun wrote:

I feel a post morpeth race coming on..

I refer the honorable gentlemen to article 8 of the TFL Code of Conduct
    DON'T ride through red traffic lights - it is dangerous and illegal
    DON'T cycle on the pavement unless it is signed as a shared use path
    DON'T cycle the wrong way up one-way streets unless it's clearly marked as a two way route for cyclists
    DON'T overtake unless there is enough room and it is safe to do so
    DON'T cycle too close to moving vehicles
    DON'T get too close to parked cars in case the doors are suddenly opened
    DON'T use a mobile phone or earphones while cycling
    DON'T ride a cycle when under the influence of alcohol or drugs
    DON'T leave a hire cycle unattended - if you're not cycling it, return it
    DON'T carry passengers on the cycle or animals/bulky items in the basket
  • dhope
    helz wrote:
    I can't sign up to it, every time I put in my address details, type in a password, answer the security question etc. and click "continue" it just takes me back to the previous screen. Has anyone else had this problem?

My boss did, not sure if he managed to sign up in the end
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • The TFL code should say 'don't cycle up the inside of large vehicles'.
  • dhope
    The TFL code should say 'don't cycle up the inside of large vehicles'.

+1

The 'DON'T cycle too close to moving vehicles'
    should be modified

DON'T cycle too close to moving vehicles or those that may start moving.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    dhope wrote:
    The TFL code should say 'don't cycle up the inside of large vehicles'.

+1

The 'DON'T cycle too close to moving vehicles'
    should be modified

DON'T cycle too close to moving vehicles or those that may start moving.

Agreed. TFL do, in their defence, include a list of DOs including a reference to being careful around lorries at junctions:
    DO watch out for other vehicles and pedestrians and give clear hand signals to show your intentions
    DO be careful around lorries and never pass them on the left just before, or at, traffic lights
    DO consider using designated cycle lanes whenever possible
    DO make yourself seen at night by wearing reflective or fluorescent clothing
    DO check that the cycle is road worthy (tyres, brakes, saddle, bell)
    DO ensure the cycle is properly docked at a docking point to avoid theft
    DO report abandoned or damaged cycles by calling 0845 026 3630
    DO find out more about cycle training
    DO always abide by The Highway Code
    DO consider wearing a cycle helmet
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    helz wrote:

Yup. The error reporting on that page is crap. If you are making the same error as me then you need to make sure that your password has upper AND lower case letters as well as a number and the minimum length.

Page is not very helpful in pointing out which section has a problem.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I had the same problem - their password rules and also entering a town in the address. Worked after that.
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    How do you sign up for this bl00dy thing? - every time I click on the link I get some message about not being able to find the server at web.barclayscyclehire.tfl.gov.uk

pah!
    :(
  • Hmmm, no Helz I haven't although I am still waiting fo rmy key.

Call their customer support line - it's the 0845 number that appears listed as something else. They were relatively helpful...
    If you have included minutes that do not include 0845s, then they also suggest overseas people call +44 (0)20 8216 6666. The number should work for UK, too.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Still no blinking key thing! :cry:

I know I will use it about twice before getting bored of the scheme, but still!