Frame only - getting the right size?

tilt
tilt Posts: 214
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
Got my heart set on a Santa Cruz Heckler frame, planning on building it up - just unsure of how to go with the size.

Recommendation for my height (5'11") on the Santa Cruz website is a large (I know this is just a rough guide). But, when I compare the geometry to my current frame, the medium Heckler is much closer to what I'm used to (Rockrider 6.3 L).

Current bike size feels fine, but I don't really have anything to compare it to - a bigger frame may have been even better.

Any advice on the best way to proceed? Doubt there's anywhere nearby I'd be able to try one and would be a bit cheeky anyway as I'm going to just get the frame online...

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Easier to make a small bike bigger than a big bike smaller and it 5'11 you must be on the limit of a medium but is there no chance of finding somewhere with an already built up example for you to try ?
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    -Liam- wrote:
    Easier to make a small bike bigger than a big bike smaller and it 5'11 you must be on the limit of a medium but is there no chance of finding somewhere with an already built up example for you to try ?

No its not as it would always be a compromise.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Tilt when you say geometry are you talking top tube length or seat tube length?

I have just changed from a Medium Blur to a Large. The santa cruz top tubes i always find quite short on the heckler and the blur and it can make for a cramped cockpit. I compromised on my old medium blur and ran my seat a long way back. It was terrible, climbed on one wheel all the time when seated, very light front all the time and the suspension was either too hard or to soft due to me trying to compensate for my seating position with air pressures.

Anyhow i would say you need to go and ride a medium and a large. Even if a shop only has a medium heckler and a large blur the blur geometry is identical to the heckler so you would get a idea of how it feels.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Personally I would make the effort to travel to a dealer to try it for size otherwise you could have wasted a lot of hard earned cash on a frame that doesn't fit you...either that up hang around your local trail centre and just hope someone turns up on one !

Just looked on the SC site...your nearest dealer is in Poole.....
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    Nearest dealer is actually in Winchester which is just down the road, then Poole or Pompey. I've emailed a few dealers to see if they have the Heckler in stock in M and L.
    Tilt when you say geometry are you talking top tube length or seat tube length?

Top tube length, standover height, seat tube length - all closer to my current bike in the Heckler medium frame. Wheel base is closer to the Heckler large though.

Hopefully I'll manage to try a couple out for size.
  • Dick Scruttock
    http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/

The UK site lists what shops have what size in.
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    Large, no question, I'm 5'10 and ride a large Gary Fisher and they have way longer TT's than Santa Cruz's. We sell Santa Cruz at work and a medium Heckler is laughably small.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    yep defo a large, santa cruz frames come up small.

im 6'3" and ride a XL nomad and 410mm seatpost is set on max for xc runs and also short cockpit.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tilt
    wheelbase is irrelevant for fitting.

also make sure the makers you are looking at measure the same way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown