Saddle sores--ouch

tutzingtwosome
tutzingtwosome Posts: 13
edited July 2010 in MTB general
I've been doing a lot of riding recently and as a result my arse is taking a bit of a pounding! But seriously, for the first time I can remember in 15 years of mountain biking, I'm having a problem with saddle sores.

I'm hoping to cross the Alps later in the summer so will be in the saddle for up to 8 hours per day. At the moment, I begin suffering after just a couple of hours.

I ride a full-sus all mountain bike (Cube AMS Pro 125) and recently fitted a Syncros FL saddle.

Any advice on prevention / cure?

Comments

• Mynameisdann
    Mynameisdann Posts: 665
    What sorta shorts/undershorts you wearing, look into getting padded if not already have any or a gel seat of some sort if your looking into doing 8 hour days?
  • standard padded lycra shorts made by cannondale--I used to ride one so bought the shorts as well.

The gel saddle is worth a look--any particular models?
  • Mynameisdann
    Mynameisdann Posts: 665
    Not something im to knowledgeable about :wink:
    either have a few searches for similiar topics or just bite the bullet and decide on the one that catches your eye?
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Everyone is different, but I find softer saddles more uncomfortable. I have the same MTB as you and have the original Fizik saddle that came with it and find it comfortable enough, I have noticed that the 2010 version comes with a RTR (cube's house brand) saddle, but it may still be made by Fizik, I don't know.

Roadies (like me) will tell you that they use chamois cream. I find it just makes my skin softer and more susceptible to sores. If I start to suffer then I just use antiseptic cream (savlon) or nappy rash cream like sudocrem to stop the sores becoming infected. I find that after time my backside toughens up and sores affect me less

You may have to try several solutions but splashing the cash on a new saddle will be the expensive one and may not be the answer.
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    Fill yer pants with blancmange - absorbs all humps and bumps and at the end of the ride get yer spoon out - mmm tasty. :wink:

Failing that - consider a more comfotable saddle/padded shorts combi.

Anus Horribilis - Elizabeth Regina II
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team