Avid Juicy 3 - rotor rub

Sevenfold
Sevenfold Posts: 86
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Having upgraded to Juicy 3's, I have continual problems with rotor rub on the front but no problem at all with the rear. I keep having to reset the front after every ride or every time I take ot the front wheel. Any ideas?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    check the hub for play. check the fork for flex.

set the caliper up correctly. (ie not over filled)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Rubbing constantly or only when at high speed? Also is it rubbing the whole rotor or just a section?
  • Sevenfold
    Sevenfold Posts: 86
    chedabob Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 pm Post subject:

Rubbing constantly or only when at high speed? Also is it rubbing the whole rotor or just a section?

Constantly rubbing & any speed. I can get it to run free for a while but any ride over anything rough will bring it back in a short while.
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    Does it happen when you go round corners more?

I've had a similar problem with my Shimano ones when i went round corners after it was set up correctly and it wasnt until later i realised there where some loose wheel bearings to play havoc with me.

If they're new pads in there give them a bit of time to wear out a little bit. Unlike Shimano brakes they dont have the servo control. It might even be a slightly warped disc or your front wheel might not be tightly in. Ive accidently stuck my wheel in loose braked quite hard and next thing i know my wheel isnt straight and my disc is rubbing.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Sevenfold wrote:
    chedabob Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 pm Post subject:

Constantly rubbing & any speed. I can get it to run free for a while but any ride over anything rough will bring it back in a short while.

Push the piston back, and bed them in. Also check there's no muck in the caliper. Mine make an awful racket when mud gets in them.