First (and shortened) racing season experience

MikeWW
MikeWW Posts: 723
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
Just a quick summary of how it's gone which hopefully might encourage a few more people to have a go.
I'm 47 and bought my first road bike July last year after mountain biking for a couple of years(which had been to lose weight after kicking a 20/day habit) so not in perfect shape
Anyway first time out with some proper riders on a closed circuit and I couldn't even stay with them for a lap! but kept at it and trained through the winter, did some interval work etc etc. Did my first ever Cat 3/4 race in April and managed to say with the bunch(just) but that was it. Gradually started getting a bit better over races2,3,4,5 (they are posted on here) but was never up there in the top 10. But it started getting better, Some of the advice on here started to make sense and I started getting more confident. Was reading things better, started understanding how to create a break rather than nullifying it and after a bit of sprint practise was actually starting to get top 10's. Got 6 points from a 6th and 8th in the last couple of races despite making mistakes
Unfortunately a mountain biking accident has put me off the bike for 3 months so season over for me but will be back next year to get my Cat 3 and have a go for a Cat 2 licence

The point really is that anybody with a bit of hard work can have a go and do OK. Its really good fun and its added another dimension to what is in any case a great sport
When I first started on the road I didn't think it would be possible to do the speeds people talked about and couldn't imagine racing in a big bunch but it does come. So if anybody is on the fence-have a go before the season is over and use it as a motivation to get some work in over the winter and kick some ass next year :D

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Well done mate.

I have finally broken my TT duck and find myself in a similar position of wanting to have a go at a road race.

I'm not a member of a club as the weekend morning riding really doesn't fit. I seem to be having a spot of bother finding a local race too. Once I do, I can hopefully follow in your footsteps.
  • MikeWW
    Good luck
    Should be a few races about if you look in the calendar section of the British cycling web site. Sure you will enjoy it
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    How do you get into racing, I wouldn`t know where to start?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    try TLI, they seem to have races regularly in most regions. link below is to the north west region, calendar is at the bottom

http://www.theleagueinternational.com/northwestmainland.htm
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • MikeWW
    antfly wrote:
    How do you get into racing, I wouldn`t know where to start?

Lots of options and it's surprisingly easy. Just find a race that is Cat 4 or Cat 3/4 listed on the British Cycling web site caledar section and turn up (assuming it says they accept entries on the day). You then just register and pay your money(you need to buy a day license if you don't have a licence) Put your number on then pedal like f*ck when the gun/whistle goes
    Think there are some GO-RIDES that are even easier

Worth thinking about joining a club as it will help in terms of getting used to riding in a bunch and ease you into the whole thing
  • antfly
    Thanks. Do you have to become a member of BC first then to get a license?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    MikeWW - well done on some very good performances. As a matter of interest, what did you do to yourself in the accident..?
  • MikeWW
    softlad wrote:
    MikeWW - well done on some very good performances. As a matter of interest, what did you do to yourself in the accident..?

I was racing at Dalby and fell down Medussas drop. Went over the bars and managed a grade 4 Acromioclavicular joint dislocation (essentially snapped all the ligaments in my shoulder and the bones were a bit out of place) They operated a couple of weeks ago and its all back in the right place but its now 1 month since I've been able to ride(or drive for that matter) and its about 3 months before there is any chance of me being back on the bike apparently.

The racing has been great fun. Even better was that my 2 boys started riding(mountain biking) when I did. Unbelievably my oldest who has just turned 16 started mountain bike racing this year for the first time. He finished 2nd in the National Championships the other week and has now been invited by British Cycling Olympic Development to attend a Talent Team Training Camp followed by a race in Belgium with them. Absolutely amazing and all started cos I got off my arse to lose a bit of weight and try and get a bit of fitness
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    MikeWW wrote:

The racing has been great fun. Even better was that my 2 boys started riding(mountain biking) when I did. Unbelievably my oldest who has just turned 16 started mountain bike racing this year for the first time. He finished 2nd in the National Championships the other week and has now been invited by British Cycling Olympic Development to attend a Talent Team Training Camp followed by a race in Belgium with them. Absolutely amazing and all started cos I got off my ars* to lose a bit of weight and try and get a bit of fitness

I like this. Well done to you, and your boys. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well done Mike! Sorry to hear about the accident, hope it heals soon.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    antfly wrote:
    Thanks. Do you have to become a member of BC first then to get a license?

I'm surprised to see you ask this as I thought you knew about racing (fro some reason).

No - you don't need to be a member of BC to race. It's just cheaper if you are!

Went to a race yesterday and the guy beside me at sign on wasn't a member - so he paid an extra £10 for a day licence. It would have been £5 if he WAS a member without a racing licence.

If you are a member of a cycling club I think you can apply for a free Bronze membership to BC.

As others have pointed out - TLI is a great option too. I did loads of TLI races this year and it really helped me get 'race fit'. Last year I couldn't keep up with the bunch. This year I am much better and yesterday finally managed to stay with the bunch in a BC race. (BC races are usually a little harder than TLI ones).

Anyway - there you go! If you want to race - just get out there and give it a go!
  • antfly
    I`ll take it as a compliment that you thought I knew about racing, i`ve only had a road bike for 3 years .Thanks for the info anyway, I was looking at the BC website and the crit racing they have at Preston Sports Arena every Thursday night caught my eye, that`s not far for me and it looks like fun.It runs April to August so maybe next year. I`ll look at the TLI ones too.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    antfly wrote:
    I`ll take it as a compliment that you thought I knew about racing, i`ve only had a road bike for 3 years .Thanks for the info anyway, I was looking at the BC website and the crit racing they have at Preston Sports Arena every Thursday night caught my eye, that`s not far for me and it looks like fun.It runs April to August so maybe next year. I`ll look at the TLI ones too.

It was my first crit race that highlighted to me how bad I was at cornering. I thought I was good before that. I was losing a handful of places at every corner. Perhaps it'd be an idea to practice your cornering before you go.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • antfly
    Good point, there is a lot of cornering.
    I`ll get practicing.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    it's probably less about the cornering - and more about getting out of them quickly. You will need to develop a good sprint - especially if you are towards the back of the bunch going into the corner.

IME, in road racing most people get dropped either on climbs or coming out of turns, usually where they can't produce the power required to stay in the bunch...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    softlad wrote:
    IME, in road racing most people get dropped either on climbs or coming out of turns, usually where they can't produce the power required to stay in the bunch...

That sir, is the gospel of racing!!
  • MikeWW
    Pokerface wrote:
    softlad wrote:

That sir, is the gospel of racing!!

and the further back you are in the bunch the further/harder you end up having to go out of the corners