On-One 465 owners

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to build a hard tail and fancy an On-One frame. I was thinking about the Inbred but the travel is only upto 100mm, this leads me to the 456. I want to be able to pop road tyres on and ride 10 miles to work when the mood takes me but mostly be used for trail work when not on my Wolf Ridge. The frame is listed as "a classic steel long-travel freeride hardtail" and I was after some rider feedback as to if this frame would be suitable?

I would be built with my intended riding style in mind.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What fork are you putting on it?
  • kenan
    Was thinking I would use the Revelation from my Wolf Ridge and replace that with a Pike.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    It'll never be ideal for the road bit, but then no mountain bike would be.

I've got a 456 with Revs and while it's a bit heavy and pretty basic, it's a thoroughly enjoyable bike to throw around in the woods!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Inbred has a 70 degree head angle with a 100mm fork.

The 456 has a 70.5 degree head angle with a 100mm fork.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    kenan wrote:
    I'm looking to build a hard tail and fancy an On-One frame. I was thinking about the Inbred but the travel is only upto 100mm, this leads me to the 456. I want to be able to pop road tyres on and ride 10 miles to work when the mood takes me but mostly be used for trail work when not on my Wolf Ridge. The frame is listed as "a classic steel long-travel freeride hardtail" and I was after some rider feedback as to if this frame would be suitable?

I would be built with my intended riding style in mind.

Not entirely sure what your question is? I've got a 456 with 100mm Reba forks. It'll never be as good as a road bike on roads but then a mountain bike never will be. The 5 miles to the local trails is fine. I'll also be cycling 600km in 6 days along the Danube from Munich to Vienna in September with camping kit in rear panniers and it'll be fine.
  • kenan
    I just wanted to check that is was not to freeride orientated or heavy. Should be explained myself better but your reply answers my question.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You will be fine.

I regularly ride my 456 on road with a 140mm Float. It's fine, just completed a 28km enduro on it as well and I didn't struggle so it definatly is a great all rounder, not just a FR bike.

It can definatly take the hits though, I take mine down some of the Innerleithen DH stuff and it copes fine