If all bikes were the same...

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited July 2010 in MTB general
How would you feel about your hobby if, instead of the multitude of options we have now, there was just one bike available, same design year on year, no options or upgrades.
If you want a bike, you buy this one. Everyone else does the same.

For the sake of argument lets imagine it's an early 90's steel hardtail, rigid fork - you get the picture.

Sounds dreadful doesn't it?
But at the same time, I get the twinge that it would be quite liberating. No more agonizing over setup or component choice. No more 'have I got the right bike for this trail?' or 'will a new bike make me better?'

Just grab the bike and ride, pure and simple.

Discuss.

Or ignore. :lol:
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    My Hobby would be the same.

and re the bikes i would still be out there riding.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I would paint it :lol:
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Would be fine for me, but then the bike you described isn't far off my latest bike purchase (B'Twin Vitamin) :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    id give it up.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    How would you feel about your hobby if, instead of the multitude of options we have now, there was just one bike available, same design year on year, no options or upgrades. If you want a bike, you buy this one. Everyone else does the same.

People would still put an Orange sticker on it and tell everyone it's better than theirs :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Sorry, you guys ride your bikes????
  • kestrel03
    kestrel03 Posts: 1
    just so it had campy on it, i don't see a problem....lol....
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    Might turn to a 3 wheeler. Love those baskets on the back for your gear. :lol:
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • TheNorthernTrain
    TheNorthernTrain Posts: 1,049
    edited July 2010
    Before today i would have called you an idiot and stop thinking such stupid evil thoughts

But now after having a real go on a rigid i think this is the best idea ever, it was so much fun!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
    For the sake of argument lets imagine it's an early 90's steel hardtail, rigid fork - you get the picture.

Hmmm...it would make Fort William a lot more "interesting", that's for sure.

I'd probably still ride as much as I do now. Like most of us on here I adore getting technical and anal (behave!), comparing one bike to another, discussing them with friends before finally jumping in with the credit card and buying the one that has pretty colours, but at the end of the day, if I didn't get a buzz from clearing the coffin jump at Innerleithen, then I would take up golf instead.

Lance Armstrong was right, it's not about the bike.

Know what I mean?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think most of would still be out on the bike, just not hitting the trails as fast as we do now.

As Lance said its not about the bike. There are so many more aspects of it, its very enjoyable, the sense of achievement, get to go out in the country and get some fresh air ....

I don't really see a nice bike as a necessity just a bonus, so as long my generic bike was built to ride on mountains I think I'd still be happy.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i wouldn't mind it and also no one will be saying "haha you have a crap bike, your poor, i'm better than you"
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    But the people who say that usually ride there £5k bikes that mummy and daddy bought them like girls and think that they are the best as they have a nice bike but cant ride for sh!t.

real rides know that if your good on a bike it dosent make much differance if its £500 or £10,000
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    You could make lots of new friends in the commuting forum.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    I started on such a bike in 94. Fantastic fun at the time. Could not cope with it today though, particularly downhill. Main upside is that you had to have really good technique to survive at speed.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I think I would probably give up if I was forced to go back to an early 90s MTB. There is a lot of rose tinted crap written about bikes from that era when the truth is they were boneshakers that broke down on virtually every ride. One bike I had I used to carry a spare axle for the rear hub it broke so often.

If we were forced to ride early 90s bikes then apart from a handfull of riding gods most of us would have to ride early 90s trails which for the most part meant fireroads and bridleways. If you rode them on twisty trails they often had a lethal combination of a turning circle the size of an oil tanker with the tendency to twitch and have you over the bars. Trail obstacles like steps, roots and rock gardens that I ride through without much more than a quick buttock clench these days would mean getting off slinging the bike on your shoulder and walking. They didnt use to sell those foam shoulder pads that fitted under the top tube for no good reason, the reason being we used to spend large parts of an off road ride carrying the damn bike.

Yes it was fun but we didnt know better and I wouldnt go back.

I speak as someone who has a pair of leaky, rattly, unreliable old British Motorbikes. I love them and spend a lot of time tinkering and polishing the old girls but I wouldnt dare go out and thrash them on a regular basis because thats not what they are for. They are for pottering around country lanes on sunny evenings then sitting in the beer garden and admiring the oil dripping out of the engine all over the landlords nice clean car park.

Leave the old stuff to nostalgia its better that way
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Rode a steel hardtail around Delamere on Saturday... 20 miles on a 16 year old bike with it's original chainset, cassette, 2 inch travel fork, cones coming loose at the back wheel. I did have a wider bar than the original but it was a flat bar and combined with a long stem with a circa 8 degree rise.

It was a laugh. I enjoyed it and I'll do it again.

I rode it down the 4X (didn't jump, too old), I think that might have loosened the threaded headset a bit.

The one thing that did hold me back was the cantilever brakes.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I was still using (a bit infrequently, I'll admit) an old steel Rockhopper only a few years ago. It was great fun and I used it when I went up to Scotland biking up the land-rover tracks of Glens. I miss the lightness and steel framed handling.

Oh, I also did quite a few red runs on it as well.

However nostalgia doesn't compete against modern suspensions :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    no doubt the experience wouldn't be as enjoyable as it is today with all the technology we have but I still think it would be a lot of fun.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    i rode 30 odd miles on my 1995 7spd steel giant last friday, taking in coed llandegla and up over the top of the mountain behind it .

was good, ok i was taking it easy on the downs but i'm no speed demon anyway, saying that the only old school kit i felt was impeding me was the canti brakes TBH...thankfully it was dry :wink:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if it was a steel rigid 29er singlespeed with v-brakes and gigantic tyres i'd be happy.

But they'd totally all get customised...
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I've taken my Hardrock all over Swinley forest, with slicks on, it was great, apart from the grips eroding my hand after 2 hours, but the blood adds to the lived in appeal of the bike :lol:

And don't diss canti's, I still went over the bars by grabbing them too hard.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    Well I still ride an early 90`s steel rigid bike and still loving it :)

(ohh btw its green in colour)

Dave..

Yeeee Haaaa....
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    ah i remember my first bike. was my brothers sarracen XC PRO (with the raised chainstay) , it was steel ridged and i converted it to single speed before it became a fad( gears broke and i had no money to fix it so bodged a single speed) . Did a few NPS races at margan on it in 97 and 98. Wish i still had in sometimes. can't believe i used to ride with a 50th front ring. It was a pace TiNi coated affair .
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    Some good tales there. Tempted to give my old Scott commuter a few offroad outings to try out my theory.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Gave my old bike away... The fella I gave it to started asking for advice about a new bike... So of course, I asked about the old one. It was sat in his garage unused... It's mine again now :)
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Since it's a 90's bike I would drill holes in the frame to make it lighter. That coupled with my illuminous green, yellow and pink lycra I would be better than everyone else.
  • My father did the whole of Skyline on his 15 year old Claud Butler rigid! On his new GT Aggressor he would struggle, new bikes have changed us.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jairaj wrote:
    no doubt the experience wouldn't be as enjoyable as it is today with all the technology we have but I still think it would be a lot of fun.
    I think you're right there.
    I used to ride rigid steel bikes with cantis, then a rigid aluminium one with Vs.
    Had loads of fun, but couldn't get anywhere near as fast back then as I can nowadays.