Brake performance

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I have got a Giant Trance X with Avid Juicy 3 brakes front & back, both with 160 rotors.
The front brake is nice & powerful but the rear is not half as powerful.
Both brakes feel the same at the lever (nice & firm), they are nice & clean & I haven't done enough miles (300-400) too kill the rear pads already & I guess the front would go first.
Any ideas what I could try to get the power back?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the rear will always have less grip/power due to weight transfer.

what is actually not happening?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There is not even enough power to lock the rear wheel, even if I really squeeze the lever
  • Tinca
    Tinca Posts: 16
    Bleed the brake, and if it's no different then clean the disk with alcohol wipes and fit new pads.
    I have the same issue with the front brake, bled it and it's better, but about to go and get some new pads for it, so it will be spot on again.
    2009 Rockhopper Comp
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    There is not even enough power to lock the rear wheel, even if I really squeeze the lever

sounds like contamination.

bleeding the brakes will not sort it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Xiphon
    Xiphon Posts: 47
    Contamination it sounds like.

Take the disc off, and get on the case with a toothbrush, warm water and fairy liquid. Works wonders for removing oil and grime from my rotors.

Rinse the rotor off with water, so all the fairy liquid is gone.

Also works well on pads too.