Which Tubes

Just started
Just started Posts: 29
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Keep getting punctures and was wondering if some tubes are better than others. Use the basic specialized ones at the moment. Any advice

Thanks

Comments

• Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    My advice is getting condom thin innertubes with sealant in them. They are a bit more expensive though cos they are racing innertubes. I find that continental inner tubes are good as are Schwallbe innertubes.

Might seem a bit patronising but are you sure you're not leaving things inside the rim or pinching the innertube when you stick your tyre back on after fixing or changing an innertube. Something as basic as that could save you.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    What kind of punctures are you getting? If they are pinch flats then its probably due to, too low pressures in the tyres.

If its actually things sticking into through the wheel then there are a few things you can do. Try using dual ply tyres or tubes these are thicker so harder to puncture. or you can get kevlar liners to put on the inside of the tyre again to stop things penetrating it.

Im not a fan of the self healing tubes, there are too many stories of them not working correctly. I'd much rather pay a bit more and get a tubeless conversion kit.
  • torgey33
    torgey33 Posts: 179
    +1 for the continental tubes, my punctures per mile seems to have dropped since i`ve been using them.
    check what pressure you`re runnin at, too low and you will get pinch flats, i run between 45-50 psi and don`t get pinches only foriegn bodies :o
    also check tyres haven`t got a thorn or sharp stone stuck in them that may be givin you the flat again and again..........
    Whats That All About !

`06 Saracen Mantra
    `07 Scott Reflex 20
    `10 Specialized fsr xc pro
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    good tubes specialized, decent valve ion them. loads of reasons for increased puncture rate