Quick tubeless question

mikee1979
mikee1979 Posts: 151
edited July 2010 in MTB general
If you have tubeless ready rims and a tubeless ready tyre, is it just the sealant and valve core you need to make the conversion or is there anything else I would need?

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    When you say a tubeless ready rim, I assume you mean UST rim. If you have a UST rim and UST tyre then it's just, as you say, the valve.

If you've made your rim tubeless ready with a rim strip, then you'll need some sealant as well I think for best results.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    tubeless ready is not UST, truthfully not sure what you need.

might be faster asking google than us
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Really need to know exactly what rims and tyres there are, as there rather a lot of combinations which may require rim strips and what not!
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    Tubless erm i know many pro's who ride with tubless and they always always ride with sealant. No matter what whether they've adapted there ordinary rims to tubless or have tubless specific rims. However a lot of these riders have since gone to using condom thin innertubes with sealant. Not that much heavier than tubless and a darnsite more reliable. Cos if you get a puncture with tubless and it doesnt seal up then you're only going to need to stick an innertube in it anyway. But as you say just the valve core and sealant is needed if you have the rim and tyre. I would suggest as extra safety to have therim strips as well.
  • mikee1979
    Cheers for the feedback. The bike is a trek Top Fuel 9, so it has Bontrager Race X Lite Disc wheel system, and Bontrager Jones XR, tyres. The rims have a tubeless ready sticker and tyres state they are tubeless ready as well.

Whats's the deal with sticking sealant in the inner tubes? Does it work? How would you go about doing it?
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    Some tubes have removable valve cores so you can syringe it in - I use an old children's medicine syringe. Schwalbe I believe is one such brand...
    The hole that you have to get the sealant in once the valve core is removed is around 2mm so you can do it without a syringe if you are a masochist! A valve core can be removed with needle pliers or you can buy specific tools.
  • mikee1979
    Just checked out some removable core inner tubes. I reckon lightweight inner tubes with sealant will hopefully be the end of my puncture nightmare, actually had a tiny puncture is the side wall of my tyre, how does that happen!
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    I had inner tubes with sealant in them and whilst they might manage to seal small holes like thorn punctures and similar things they dont work too well with larger holes :P

I had something make a slice about 1cm long in my tyre and that went through and made a 3-4mm slice in my inner tube and it seems the whole was too large for the sealant to seal reliably :(

I have now bought some nice thick downhill tubes and bought myself a wider tyre for the back so theres more air in there and I also put one of those Panaracer Kevlar lines in the tyre lol. Its not very light but then again I'd rather have some extra weight over having to change stupid inner tubes all the time or fix punctures
  • mikee1979
    Thorns make up 95% of all my punctures, so hopefully sealant will be good enough. May also check out those Kevlar lines, like yourself could put up with a bit extra weight if it stopped me getting punctures.