13»

Comments

• pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    nic_77 wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    Charity is a tax on the sympathetic.

I buried my Mum last month, Cancer. Not very nice seeing someone you love dearly waste away.

For the last 3 weeks of her life she was cared for in a hospice primarily funded by the taxed sympathetic people you refer to. At her funeral service we managed to raise 3k for the hospice. Handed over with thanks.

One day, you might throw a quid in bucket, you never know. :roll:

I am sorry to hear of your loss....

However, I suggest you try reading my other posts in this thread, before attacking me with further emotive sentiments.

We are all very lucky that this sympathy exists, but in my opinion there is a better way to raise more money in a fairer and more effective way – how exactly does that make me a bad person?

You will also see I give my time and money proactively (not just when prompted) to a variety of different worthy causes.

Edited my original post, apologies.........
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    pat1cp wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    Charity is a tax on the sympathetic.

I buried my Mum last month, Cancer. Not very nice seeing someone you love dearly waste away.

For the last 3 weeks of her life she was cared for in a hospice primarily funded by the taxed sympathetic people you refer to. At her funeral service we managed to raise 3k for the hospice. Handed over with thanks.

One day, you might throw a quid in bucket, you never know. :roll:

I am sorry to hear of your loss....

However, I suggest you try reading my other posts in this thread, before attacking me with further emotive sentiments.

We are all very lucky that this sympathy exists, but in my opinion there is a better way to raise more money in a fairer and more effective way – how exactly does that make me a bad person?

You will also see I give my time and money proactively (not just when prompted) to a variety of different worthy causes.

Edited my original post, apologies.........

Me too - Friends again! :wink:
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    My sixpennoth!
    LA has always felt he is bigger than the Tour; however, it will go on without him and one day he will just be a foot note in history. They could have got permission to wear the jerseys and no-one would have minded but no, he has to show off one last time.
    My mother too died of cancer at 50; fortunately a lot of progress in treatments has been done since her death and I support charities but quietly without making a fuss - and wearing a yelllow wristband (tho' I have worn a pink one in the past).
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Ms Tree wrote:
    My sixpennoth!
    LA has always felt he is bigger than the Tour; however, it will go on without him and one day he will just be a foot note in history. They could have got permission to wear the jerseys and no-one would have minded but no, he has to show off one last time.
    My mother too died of cancer at 50; fortunately a lot of progress in treatments has been done since her death and I support charities but quietly without making a fuss - and wearing a yelllow wristband (tho' I have worn a pink one in the past).

+1 without consent the whole thing looked like an attempt by an old champion to steel some thunder. I'm pretty sure if they'd planned and organised it then there'd been no problem. But if Lance was in yellow would they have done it?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French