130mm on an Inbred...yes or no?

Iain C
Iain C Posts: 464
edited July 2010 in MTB general
I've got a slot dropout Inbred (great bike!) currently running 100mm Tora 318 airs which I stole off my other half's Rockhopper, and I guess I need to replace her forks at some point!

On the On-One website there's conflicting information, it says the Inbred works best with a 4"-5" (100-130mm) travel fork, but then on the ordering section it says 100mm max (4"). I was looking at potentially putting a 130mm fork on it (simply because there are some good deals about, and it gives me more scope in the future to swap the frame for a long-forker if I want to), and On-One say this is fine, just run it with more sag and firm the compression damping up to compensate.

Question…has anyone got a 130mm fork on their Inbred and how does it feel? I do like the sharp handling of it compared to my Fuel EX7 and I would be reluctant to dull this down too much, however if it gave me a bit more travel and a bit more confidence on the descents, then it might be worth a go. I had a go on my mate's 456 Summer Season with Recons on, and I have to say it did feel a bit too relaxed for me, but I know this is a much slacker bike.

Thoughts?

Comments

• jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    It can take a 130mm fork but is really better suited to a 100mm fork, u can ride it with the long fork ok but the optimal ride will come with the shorter fork.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    aparently it feels like a pig with 130mm, i would stick to <115
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I had some interesting playing about on mine (in sig) before it went white and i had u-turn toras on it.

It rode like a barge at 130mm, it lost that direct snappy feeling i love about my on ones, but it was too mental at 85mm (or whatever they go down to) and the front kept trying to tuck under. It felt best at 100mm hence i picked up the sids for it.

I have mine for xc duties, so it doesn't need to be particularly hard hitting, if i was running it as more of a trail bike i'd probably go for 115 or 120 to give it a bit more stability descending, and a bolt through fork.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I had a Scandal, which has the same geometry, and it wasn't too good at 130mm. Climbed like it was pissed, cornered like it was 30 feet long. Still good fun and I made it work for a while but then when I rode a Soul it was just obvious how bad the Scandal was performing. And it's a shame to do that to a bike when it rides so damn well with a shorter fork.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Iain C
    Iain C Posts: 464
    Right sold, 100mm it is then.

The bike handles like a dream, even on the cheapo Tora, so thanks for the feedback, it would certainly be a shame to booger that up!

Will keep my eyes open for some nice 100s then.

Ride_whenever that is a truly epic build, love it...although jesus h christ please don't ever dress all in white and ride trails at dusk...the bike looks very much like a spooky "ghost bike" already! Beautiful though!

:D
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Iain C wrote:
    please don't ever dress all in white and ride trails at dusk...

I'm totally doing this and scaring the crap out of the drunks down by the river at night...