Here's a couple of writeups on my blog

An account of one night stage

General stuff about the whole event

4833242333_608e76c655.jpg
Bwlch y Groes

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Lots of discussion about this ride on the Audax thread at www.yacf.co.uk Supposedly a fantastic ride both scenically and organisationally for not a lot of money. The organisers get a lot of praise. 1000km of Wales - chapeau to you.

100 people did Tour of the Black Mountains, how many rode this?
    M.Rushton
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    mrushton wrote:
    100 people did Tour of the Black Mountains, how many rode this?

approx 100 entries
    74 starters
    53 finishers

The start was 6am on Friday the finish cut off time 9am on Monday

Auidaxes are not the same as sportives. As I understand it at approx 6am only 15 people or so had finished. So the organiser was slightly concerned that the final bit could be the straw that broke the camels back. But everyone left on the road at that point finished within the time limit, most people took pretty much the whole 75 hours
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I think it might have been 300 for the Tour, 70+ for a 1000km is pretty good
    M.Rushton
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Your blog's fair coming along, Vorsprung.

Chapeau from me also. 1000 km's quite a ride.

I'm curious, you mention a couple of times 30 and 45 kph but what sort of average speed did you do? And how much sleep? How much time did you have in hand before the cut-off?

This is the type of thing I aspire to do, so I'm trying to get a feel for what speed I'd need to get enough sleep. I don't function well on only a few hours. 30 kph is currently about one and a half times my present average over hilly terrain.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Crapaud wrote:
    Your blog's fair coming along, Vorsprung.

Chapeau from me also. 1000 km's quite a ride.

I'm curious, you mention a couple of times 30 and 45 kph but what sort of average speed did you do? And how much sleep? How much time did you have in hand before the cut-off?

This is the type of thing I aspire to do, so I'm trying to get a feel for what speed I'd need to get enough sleep. I don't function well on only a few hours. 30 kph is currently about one and a half times my present average over hilly terrain.

Mene , Mene , Tekel , Parsin

Mene: the time actually moving was 49h47m so the average speed was near enough 20kph. I was quite happy cruising at 30kph on the flat, or faster if in a group but that didn't happen much
    Tekel: I tried to loose weight but was approx 1Kg over my usual "summer" weight at the start
    Peres: each day was divided by a little bit of sleep, 2 1/2 on Fri night, 3 1/2 on Sat, 90 minutes on Sunday. I had just over an hour in hand at the end before the cutoff