New Frame or Pay off all my Debt?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited July 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Just got my payslip this month and have realised I can do 1 of 2 things...

1) Buy the second hand DH frame i've been after for a while

OR

2) Pay off ALL my debts (credit card, car insurance and P7 frame) which is consting me around £150 a month.

I'm thinking i'm gonna pay off all my debt and wait another month so I can possibly get a new DH frame instead.

Obviously it makes sense... I just wanted to get it written down, thoughts look way better on "paper" lol.

thoughts?

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    is there really a logical option to 1)? er, no, bear in mind that debt is going to get more expensive over the next half of this year so do it now.

Also, negoiiate with the debt provider, you'd be surprised what they will take as an offer to get you off their debt book
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • DH Frame every time !

A bit of debt is healthy ! keeps you motivated.............. :twisted:

By the way what frame is it ? :oops: I might be signing u for something i dont agree with i didnt READ THE SMALL PRINT

:idea:
  • lol I know :)

Will be a nice feeling! Just hope my car tax isn't up this month or i'll have to hold off paying one off, but surely less debt is much better!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'd pay the debt off. But then I'm boring and don't like debt :wink:

Plus it's not like you'll buy the frame and then that's it. You'll still have be buying loads of stuff for it, so may as well get the debt out of the way first.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • U cant ride round all week end on a healthy bank balance !

A DH Rig on the other hand will make u forget that ur in debt ! It might even make it seem all the more worthwhile ! :?

I,d rather have a Bike & Debt as oposed to just a bike or just debt !

:idea:

Think about it ! For a second or two then start speccing the new build !

I,m just at the other end of aquiring new shiny sh!t for my dream bike !
    Its great !
    I love it !
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    If your debt is costing you £150 a month it must be more than the price of a frame unless it's made of something special :?:

I hate debt. Pay it off and in a few months the £150/month you'll save will pay for the frame. Done :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Pay off the debt! If I were in your position, that would be the certain thing I would do.

As it is, I'll continue paying the monthly debts :(
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Pay off the debt, youd have to be a pretty big wally to buy the frame when you are in debt, esp as it will save you money... with the £150 a month saved over a few months you could pretty much build up the DH frame.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I'd pay off the debt, definitely.
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    Debt free is the way to live. It's amazing what you can afford when you owe nothing to nobody. Only debt I have is a mortgage (and someone else pays most of that as I rent it out)
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above go debt free that way everything you earn is yours and yours alone muhuwaha...
  • Pay off your debt for gods sake! If you get the frame you are píssing money straight down the pan!

Pay off the debt then buy the frame further down the line or else you'll find yourself in a pretty dire situation further down the line when the unexpected inevitably happens...
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Pay it off. The DH frame will still be there next month if you ask the seller nicely.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I'd agree with everyone else and clear the debt, but if it was me the devil in my head would give this reason for option 1 - you'll miss a month of "summer"(if you can call it that), when you're likely to ride a DH bike most.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    how about paying off your big nasty interest accruing debt, and then look at getting a bike frame on 0% finance, I know it puts you back into debt, but at least its not debt thats costing you more than you are getting.

I dont mind a certain level of debt, I have many things here and there on 0% deals, butthey are also things that I have the cash for anyway, so why shouldn't I keep hold of that in case of emergencies, I'm disciplined enough not to spend it on other things

All I'm in debt for is my car and my house that I pay interest on, and a sofa, my bass guitar and my bike on 0%
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • well the only one i'm arsed about is my credit card... thats ruining me atm!

Frame is currently 0% finance so i'm not too fussed.. and i've just had a chat with insurance and I don't think I can afford to pay that off anyways.

So as long as I get my credit card gone and cut up, set on fire, pissed on and then set on fire again... I'll be a happy chappy!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Do it - there is no point buying today what you cant pay for until tomorrow - you are a slave to the wage that way. I personally owe nobody nothing and luckily I dont have a job either!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Get shot of the debt- I've been debt free for ages now- after 10+ years of it! :lol: :oops:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3