~£100 for locks

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
What kind of security setup would you guys recommend for a nice new shiny bike?

And don't say use a hack, or keep it inside :wink:

It's in a fairly safe area, right outside the office, where there's lots of railings I could lock it too. I've seen people leave bikes unlocked and go into the shops, knowing that their bike will be untouched when they come back. Also, plenty of slightly more expensive bikes not locked to anything, but propped against a wall/lamp post with a flimsy cable through the back wheel and frame.

So if I lock it 'properly' it'll be far and away the most trouble for a thief.

Having read the LFGSS thread and advice on here, I was thinking Abus Steeloflex and a Granit X plus 54. But then people say not to use 2 of the same make, so I was thinking Kryptonite NY D lock and the Steeloflex. But then I heard bad things about the steeloflex so thought of two D locks. But then it only takes on type of tool to get both locks off. :?

Budget is around £100 but I don't mind spending a bit more. Any help appreciated.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've got one of these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Abus_ ... 360012112/
    and one of these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Krypt ... 360021015/

The main problem is the weight. The Abus chain is very chunky.

Cable locks are very convenient but a determined, equipped thief will have not much problem getting through them. Good to distract the opportunist, though.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I use a cheapo lock for the front wheel - need to address that, but have Package Deal: Protector 11mm Chain, Squire SS50CS Lock from torc anchors for the back main lock. From torc anchors. This is good if you can leave the lock behind each day as it's a brute....
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    amazon are still doing the fageddaboutit (sp) kryptonite for cheap monies...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I never lock my bike with anything less than 2 D locks - a Kryptonite and a Squire. They're heavy to carry round but hey that's extra training! Anyway, I've never had a bike nicked in 4 years of riding and parking all over London..... Touch wood...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bails87

This? Good spot. I might pair it with an Abus Granit.

The Fagh around the seatstay, wheel and vertical bit of railing, and the Abus through the wheel, main triangle and onto a horizontal bit of railing <--sound sensible?
    MTB/CX

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    bails87 wrote:

The Fagh around the seatstay, wheel and vertical bit of railing, and the Abus through the wheel, main triangle and onto a horizontal bit of railing <--sound sensible?

Yeah - its a feckign beast of a lock and fits just around the rear stays and wheel - nice and toit (like a tiger)

if you can wait 3-5 weeks the full on longer shank NY one is 49.14 or something silly...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    bails87 wrote:

Yeah - its a feckign beast of a lock and fits just around the rear stays and wheel - nice and toit (like a tiger)

if you can wait 3-5 weeks the full on longer shank NY one is 49.14 or something silly...

Or print the page, take it to Evans and they'll pricematch. Worked for me.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • flob
    flob Posts: 6
    i use a squire d lock with a xena disc brake lock.
    That way anyone touches my bike the xena alarm sets off 120db of alarm. 8)
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Two locks of different design so that they cannot be opened, cut or broken by a thief using just one tool. Both locks must be heavy and expensive.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • bails87
    dondare wrote:
    Two locks of different design so that they cannot be opened, cut or broken by a thief using just one tool. Both locks must be heavy and expensive.

So Fahgedablahblah mini & Steeloflex?
    MTB/CX

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    flob wrote:
    i use a squire d lock with a xena disc brake lock.
    That way anyone touches my bike the xena alarm sets off 120db of alarm. 8)

This is a good idea. The disc alarms work great, particularly if you can do a crank to chainstay arrangement.

I'd take a disc alarm over any cable any day. For your main security the biggest bestest d-lock or chain you can find.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I have a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4. It's £32 on Amazon, and it seems pretty sturdy. My theory is that if it'll withstand levering and small bolt croppers, then it's good enough. If your bike is hidden away where somebody could use bigger/power tools without being seen, no lock is going to stop them.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788

Ordered.

Cheers mate :wink:

Two sodding heavy D locks = weight training innit? 8)
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Is the bike insured Bails?
    If so your policy will have a list of locks which you must use; or void the policy.
    Oh, and a d-lock goes without saying for obvious reasons :lol:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • bails87
    Torres wrote:
    Is the bike insured Bails?
    If so your policy will have a list of locks which you must use; or void the policy.
    Oh, and a d-lock goes without saying for obvious reasons :lol:

Yep, it'll be covered under our home insurance, we were told (when I added my MTB to the policy) that as long as it's locked to any fixed object with a lock, it's covered.
    T&Cs wrote:
    What is covered:
    Loss of or damage to bicycles while outside your home and the land belonging to your home, occurring anywhere in the British Isles and, for a total of 60 days in any insurance period, while temporarily elsewhere and while in the possession of any of your family.

What is NOT covered:
    The excess.
    Loss of or damage to any bicycle left unattended in a public place unless the bicycle is locked to an object that cannot be moved.
    MTB/CX

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Will you be transporting the lock, or leaving it in situ?
  • bails87
    Leaving it where it is. One of them at least. I was thinking I could put the other inside the office when it's unlocked to stop anyone tampering with it.

Why, are you going to suggest anchor chain?
    MTB/CX