Somerset, Porlock, Minehead MTB Riders

pbrown11
pbrown11 Posts: 2
edited August 2010 in MTB rides
I am keen to get in touch and meet up with anyone who has good knowledge of trials in the North Somerset area, Exmoor. My family live in the Porlock area and have started to take the bike down when I visit to get to know the trails.

I would ideally like to hook up with anyone who knows the Bridle paths and trails to get some quaility riding as apposed to contstantly getting lost and stopping to check maps etc.

Pm me if thi is you.

Cheers

Comments

• did you get my p.m.?
    "I"m over the hill so I"m not over the hill" !
  • bones3027
    bones3027 Posts: 152
    I have family in minehead and visit every other month. After reading about porlock me thinks the rides coming with next time.
  • delaxm
    delaxm Posts: 180
    I know the area well if anyone needs showing round.
  • Hey all

Going to be in Porlock this weekend camping with some non-MTB friends

Might be able to bring the bike with me so anybody know of any decent trails to get an hour or two of riding in? Wouldn't mind attacking Porlock hill but don't fancy doing the whole road across to Lynmouth - prefer to get muddy...
  • delaxm
    edited August 2010
    Porlock hill on a bank holiday weekend? - you will die!
    It'll be full of walkers, broken down old VW's & cockneys in 4x4s towing caravans with zero regard for anyone else on the road.
    Head west on the toll road & take any of the trails up Cullbone hill to County gate, then drop down to Malmsmead, Robbers bridge, climb up to Cullbone pub then drop down the superb 3 mile decent through Hawkcombe.
    Or east up over Selworthy beacon, down into Minehead & back via Periton Hill, Brockwell, Dunster path & Horner woods.
  • Thanks delaxm

We were up there same time last year and I don't remember the traffic being so bad, but I was on a motorcycle then so I was doing the overtaking rather than the holding up!!!

Are the trails fairly well marked up there? You reckon I'd survive with a stack of google map printoffs, a compass and a Zumo GPS unit as an "oh f*** I'm lost" backup? I'm pretty good with navigating / orienteering

Wouldn't mind a buzz down countisbury hill, if only to set a Vmax on the computer my riding buddy here couldn't possibly achieve on the IOW, but the slog back up would probably kill me making any victory somewhat moot...
  • delaxm
    I've seen plenty of near misses on the hill, all the bridleways are well marked & an OS map was all I used in the 90's
    Countisbury hill might be difficult to get a clear run & the sheep don't seem to look before crossing!
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=276365&y=148891&z=115&sv=276365,148891&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=669&ax=276365&ay=148891&lm=0 This might be better to Vmax as its quieter & steeper, seem to remember a mate saying he'd got 54mph!
  • Thanks for the info, I remember contisbury being a near traffic jam with tourists slowing down to enjoy the view (who could blame them)

I'll grab my camelbak and get my exploring head on, thanks again