Somebody recommend me a track chainset

broachboy
broachboy Posts: 429
edited November 2010 in Track
Morning fixed forum goers

I am looking for some advice :roll:

My son needs a chainset for his track bike, can any of you recommend me a quality strong one without breaking the bank ? He will be using the bike in his local track league at Aldersley, and also at Newport & Manchester so maybe crank length will need to be considered. The problem I am having is that a lot of cheaper c/sets seem to be aimed at s/s leisure riding, etc and speaking to some retail outlets (mentioning no names here :) ) they seem to be passing on the message that the c/sets at the bottom end of the range wouldn't be up to the job :?: :?

Any help much appreciated

TIA
Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    You didn't mention what your upper spend limit is but if you don't want to extend to Sugino 75s (which I use) then the Miche Primato Advanced are worth a look. I wouldn't bother with anything below that for track riding. If you buy a quality chainset now, it's a long-term investment as they don't get updated or superseded every couple of years like road kit.

The key thing is to get 144 BCD and 1/8" equipment for strength, longevity and being able to easily borrow stuff at track meetings!

If your son's track bike has a BB height of at least 11.25" you'll be ok with either 165mm or 170mm cranks but I would probably recommend going with 165s anyway.

Hope that helps.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • broachboy
    broachboy Posts: 429
    Cheers Eddy :wink: for that information. Sorry I didn't state an upper price point, but it was kind of difficult - I just hadn't planned on buying him Dura Ace, RD75 or Campag track cranks if you see where I 'm coming from. I am more than happy with the choice of Miche Primato, looks to be a quality piece of kit and strong too, just see who will do the best deal now eh ?

I will get the 165s( I had a mind to anyway) as I am unable to measure the bb height at the moment.

Many Thanks again :wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • I've used the Miche Primato for 3 years now, transferring it from bike to bike and it's incredibly smooth and not too heavy for the price, Definitely a good buy
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Mcr velodrome regs are 165 cranks and 11in BB (I assume this means minimum of 11" !)
    http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/fr ... tions.html

No mention of it being OK to e.g. have 170 cranks if you have 11.5" BB or anything...

Note that page also includes max gearing allowed for youth riders - all 48t chainring but different sprocket based on age
  • miche has just released a new budget chainset for those not looking to spend £100 on the primato advanced, the xpress is available for £75

http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk/index.p ... nt=10&pg=1
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    sugino from Terry Dolans

http://www.italian-solutions.co.uk/prod ... 310&page=1

there is also a ginormous list of cranksets here
    http://www.lfgss.com/thread11148.html
    some aren't track quality, some are
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Simonb256
    Simonb256 Posts: 880
    I too need a chainset.

I'd prefer 130BCD as I'd want to keep my existing ring. However the USE ones are very tempting (Which are 144bcd), but I wont start getting the nice bits out til the weather starts getting better again.

The reason Im after a new chainset is as I have problems with tight spots. I've just bought a TA chainring and and a White Industries gear, with a decent chain. Though, will a decent crankset and BB also help with this problem?
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • grim3ur
    grim3ur Posts: 46
    The tight spots are prob to do with your TA chainring.

In my experience I have found none of them to be round!
  • Simonb256
    Simonb256 Posts: 880
    Bugger. i bought the TA ring to try to eliminate the tight spots.

Well I'll just make do until winter's over and then go on an upgrading spree. As I tend to throw a freewheel on to commute, plus my local track is freewheel only whilst out of season.
  • you may need to check your chainline as white ind offer a non standard track chainline on there singlespeed setup that is more likely to be your probably

it won't be a problem with the ta ring, which is they are not round you should contact the retailer and/or manufacturer you purchased it from.

your best to get a track cycling specific chainset
  • I found what was causing my tight spots, It was the crank arm oddly enough. So I will make do til the summer for now, as I'll go on another upgrading spree then.