Flat bar to drops

mickbrown
mickbrown Posts: 100
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I need to change the bloody silly handlebars on my hybrid - Trek Valencia. Was thinking of flats with bar ends but then the tinkerer in me started thinking could I fit drops with STI's?

It has:-

Rear - Shimano Deore
Front - Shimano M191
Brakes - Shimano M416, mechanical disc

Now the question is could I just bang some drops and a set of Shimano 8 speed shifters on this? Or is it, as I suspect, far more complicated than that?

Comments

• mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    mickbrown wrote:
    I need to change the bloody silly handlebars on my hybrid - Trek Valencia. Was thinking of flats with bar ends but then the tinkerer in me started thinking could I fit drops with STI's?

It has:-

Rear - Shimano Deore
    That should be okay but I'm not sure that you can get 8 spd STI's any more except second hand.
    Front - Shimano M191
    That you might need to change. Road/MTB front derailleurs are not 100% compatible.
    Brakes - Shimano M416, mechanical disc
    This might be your real problem. Even though they are cable rather than hydraulic they are probably designed for use with V-Brake levers. To use with STI's you will need to replace with road disc brakes (desgned for the STI lever cable pull rate).

So as you say potentially quite complicated.

Mike
  • mickbrown
    Bugger.

Ah well, new bike it is then.

Cheers Mike
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    mickbrown wrote:
    So not a complete disaster then. :lol:

Mike
  • mickbrown
    Probably not :D

Looked into the brake levers a bit more.

They are Shimano ST-EF50 - bit of digging says " Brake Lever Actuation: Short or Long Pull (Cantilever)"

Does that completely rule out STI's?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    mickbrown wrote:
    Probably not :D

Looked into the brake levers a bit more.

They are Shimano ST-EF50 - bit of digging says " Brake Lever Actuation: Short or Long Pull (Cantilever)"

Does that completely rule out STI's?

That means that the levers you have have a changable cable pull and can be set up for either canti/calipers or vee brakes. If you can figure out which setting they're in you may be able to get somewhere.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    WRT sti and cable discs, it will work but you have to be quite careful about the setup, which isn't a problem as discs are more tolerant to fine setup than calipers. It will also give very good modulation.

However you will probably end up adjusting the brakes every ride in order to keep them usable.
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    To be honest i would go for the flats with bar ends. Drop downs may be faster and slightly narrower but the flatbar and bar ends are essentially drop downs without the drops. I singlespeed commute and i choose flat bars with bar ends and it works perfect for me. In fact i wouldnt change it for the world i ride with Hydrolic discs now as well and its a real treat to ride witht he flat bars. Costs less than buying drop downs as well
  • mickbrown
    Sod it - I'm going to give it a go.

I've found some Sora ST 3300 STI 8 speed levers and ITM Bars for £60.

Even if it doesn't work I'll have had an afternoon of tinkering.

Ta for your help chaps.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    mickbrown wrote:
    Bugger.

Cheers Mike

RESULT!!!!!

happy happy days.

What's the budget?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    @mickbrown

Don't be down - new bike is a good thing.

I have converted an Ambrosio bike I built as a flatbar into drops:

The frame geometry may also be a factor, specifically head tube length. I don't know your bike, so cannot comment further!

No issues with STI's and MTB front and rear mech - I re-cabled and everyhting seemed to work fine - although I did use a triple chainset and 9 speed cassette.

With the dic brake conundrum - you may find the pull rate a bit odd, but nothing a bit of farting about won't solve. Be prepared to buy tools and do a fair bit of work, get frustrated and eventually smoke 20 B & H.

Ultimately, buy a new bike - it is just better!
  • mickbrown
    The geometry doesn't appear to be too far off the Trek Portland which has drops.

Yep, sod it, I'm going for it - if it doesn't work then it's 'broke' and I need a new bike.

A win win situation!
  • Greg T
    mickbrown wrote:
    Yep, sod it, I'm going for it - if it doesn't work then it's 'broke' and I need a new bike.

Yes

Now Budget.

Hurry

• mickbrown
    If it was 'broken' I'd wait for the next round of the cyle to work which can't be that far away to be fair. (October ish)

And if I did that it'd be almost rude not to go to the £1000 this time.
  • Greg T
    mickbrown wrote:
    And if I did that it'd be almost rude not to go to the £1000 this time.

Focus Cayo has a following

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... o-09-33483

Caad9

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-uk-35778

My geared commuter bike and I think it's outstanding - wouldn't get 105 for a grand - but for a few 100 quid more....

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec020236

hmmmmmmm

Bikes.....