Beloki must feel like such a plank

2»

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I read a local club re-enacts it each year!
    Is the club member with the fewest race points that season the one who has to play Beloki and whimper in the gutter?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    dennisn wrote:

I really don't think that the "fan boys" are calling it any more than it was. As I saw it Beloki went down really hard and Lance swerved to miss him, which forced him to go through a sloping grassy field until he met up with the road again. He got lucky and didn't hit any obstacles. The other possibility is that, in his pact with the Devil, there was a clause requiring said Devil to help LA through any really tough situations, such as that off road adventure. Easy enough for the Devil to arrange.
    This must be one of the first times I agree with Dennis. (sneaky feeling there was another time)

Armstrong a mountain biker ? He came from Triathlon. Harmon been chatting balls x again.?

I have some everlasting memories of Lancy boy and freewheeling down a grassy slope is not one of them.
    ITV replayed one of my favourites with the big I am being beaten by Outschakov in a two up sprint.
    Well he didn't win many sprints with lots of 2nd or 3rd places before he found the bit of Krypton and become Superman.
    Wonderfull stuff that Krypton as it cures cancer and the rest is history except for Saint Novitsky.
    St Novitsky might be able to scurge the dragon and the devil for the good of mankind.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    dulldave wrote:
    I think some of you are being a little unfair. It was quite impressive riding and I don't think anyone's suggesting that Beloki suffered his fate through lack of skill.

If it had been this year and Cancellara who did it we'd all be jizzing over it.

Speak for yourself.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    deejay wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

ITV replayed one of my favourites with the big I am being beaten by Outschakov in a two up sprint.

St Novitsky might be able to scurge the dragon and the devil for the good of mankind.

I think after 895th time of telling us we get the idea he lost a two up sprint , as for your 2nd point the worrying thing is i think you really believe that.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I wouldn't call it a great moment - it ended a cyclist's career.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Moray Gub wrote:
    dulldave wrote:
    I think some of you are being a little unfair. It was quite impressive riding and I don't think anyone's suggesting that Beloki suffered his fate through lack of skill.

Speak for yourself.

Sorry MG I didn't realise you'd be reading this thread so I refrained from explaining the patently obvious fact that I was speaking metaphorically.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • moray_gub
    dulldave wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    dulldave wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Sorry MG I didn't realise you'd be reading this thread so I refrained from explaining the patently obvious fact that I was speaking metaphorically.

Given the fact i had made three posts prior to yours i am not sure how you come to the conclusion i would not read this thread anyway i am not so sure it would be metaphorically .
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I wouldn't call it a great moment - it ended a cyclist's career.

Completely agree. I hate seeing the replays because of this, and hate the way everyone goes on about Armstrong's involvement. It's a bit like a career ending challenge in football (Shawcross on Ramsey for example), and people discussing whether the physio is fit or not.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    dennisn wrote:
    I really don't think that the "fan boys" are calling it any more than it was. As I saw it Beloki went down really hard and Lance swerved to miss him, which forced him to go through a sloping grassy field until he met up with the road again. He got lucky and didn't hit any obstacles. The other possibility is that, in his pact with the Devil, there was a clause requiring said Devil to help LA through any really tough situations, such as that off road adventure. Easy enough for the Devil to arrange.

Very unlikely. The Devil was always a T-Mob fan :wink:
    Ah, but being a fan is one thing, this is business. He set a price, LA may not yet have discovered just how high that price is... :wink:

Good description dennisn. Most experienced racers could ride across a downward sloping field that's as dry as cork, hop off and step across a ditch with their very light bike in their hands, and get back on. I am dismayed at the excitement still generated by the event partly because in itself it was hardly astounding, but mainly for the same reason as others - that fall virtually ended Beloki's career :(
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.