Bars and stems - whats it all about?

ian220476
ian220476 Posts: 164
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Hi,

I'm looking all the bars and stem stuff at the moment and just don't get it. If I get a shorter or longer stem what does it do? If I get wider or narrower bars, what does it do?

There must be theory out there I'm just not sure what it is.

I mainly ride cross country but tend to target the faster downhill stuff more than the climbs! I'm looking at this at the moment as I want the front of the bike to be a bit sharper at speed and having just had some lessons recently have changed certain riding positions I had adopted and am not finding the whole front end that comfortable at the moment.

Can anyone help enlighten me?

Thanks
GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone

Comments

• Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    Wider the bars obviously the better control you have at cornering. Leverage and all of that physics. Shorter bars are faster and turn more sharply. Riser and flat bars have there differances as well riser bars being more for descents and flats more for ascents to be honest. I'd also like to add having an oversize set of handlebars mean that they are stiffer on any side to side movement making them stronger.

Stem length is a personal preferance as is the angle and the length of a stem affects the steering once again. If your closer to the headset your obviously more directly over the forks thus turning will be more direct and quicker. Longer the stem the more slower steering is.

I ride cross country as well and i have a set of Flat bars at 540mm i do believe and i have the stem at -6 degrees on a 100mm length stem. I find it works perfect for my bike and for me but like i say its personal preferance. A bit of trial and error to get what feels best for you unless you have experience from before.

Hope that helps to some degree.