chocolate milk recovery drink

louthepoo
louthepoo Posts: 223
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
when looking up recovery drinks on the internet i read that low fat chocolate milk is as good as anything out there and that mark phelps used to have it after sessions with skimmed milk. Does anyone on here use it? If so what kind? Is it the normal nesquick stuff?
Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Mars does it for me, although I do like "For goodness shakes", but they are expensive
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I take yazoo with me when I go mtbing as i's convenient. It's UHT so doesn't hurt to sit in the car all day and get warm. No better or worse than the psp stuff I have at home.

I actually find cafeinated sugary drinks have the most effect in mkaing me feel like I've recovered for a drive a home (coke, high5 with caffeine etc.).

Go into a shop and pick up some of the for goodness shakes then go find the uht milks and compare.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,545
    i'd read the same, when i ran out of high5 recovery drink, usually i have 700cc of it after a hard session, i instead had two choc milks, so about the same volume of drink as i'd have with the high5

spent the next few hours feeling wasted, that didn't happen on the previous 10 rides where i'd had the high5, clearly the content of the choc milk was lacking

but it depends on the recipe obviously, highest hit on google for choc milk nutrition...

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate ... late-milk/

for 8oz, assume that's 225g, it says 8g protein, 27g carbs, which *is* comparable to the amount in a similar volume of high5 mixed with water, main difference is the fat that's in the milk shake

essentially all the protein and half the carbs, plus fat will be from the milk, the rest of the carbs from the sugar in the chocolate powder/syrup used

chocolate powder varies a lot, some is quite high fat, but you should be able to get a similar recipe to high5 etc.

if you mix your own you can probably get lower price than high5 (a tub costs 19 quid, so making 700cc costs just under 1.20), albeit probably with a lot more fat in the homemade one

for ready mixed shakes i reckon high5 would work out much cheaper

tbh high5 seems simpler and surer, and for a few pence per serving the cost doesn't bother me
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW. Along these same lines, beer (in moderation) can replace burned up carbs rather quickly and make you feel better after a long hard ride. It's only "cheap" carbs but gets into your system very quickly. IN MODERATION are the key words here.