Joining a club

Steve_b77
Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
I'm thinking of Joining a road club.

Having just completed the London 2 Paris and to be honest not felt massively knackered after 332 miles in 3 1/2 days, I though I might join a club,

What sort of average speeds do clubs tend to ride at on their weekend rides?

Is it worth joining one for someone with no interest in racing.

Do they tend to do just weekend rides or do some clubs offer mid-week rides, i ask as during the week I live in West London and would like to do something after work at night - any recommendations for clubs in that area?

Comments

• MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Plenty of people in clubs that don't race. Average speeds from 15 mph upwards. Generally club rides at weekends but can be formal or informal rides during the week.
    Can be very sociable and if I were you I wouldn't dismiss racing out of hand-no need to be that good to compete
  • Steve_b77
    Average speeds seem fine to me.

When you say about racing, whats a typical beginners race i.e. length and kind of speeds required?

Thanks
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    I did my first club ride today.. was a nice paced 20 miler, and it was a case of "no man left behind", so stopping at major junctions was mandatory, even for the race whippets.

Have to say I had a lot of fun! and I will definitely be joining them again (and joining the club if they will have me!), and I was very proud to keep pace with some of the stronger riders for that distance... couldnt quite keep up with the waif like race snakes though (despite valiantly trying for the first 4 miles! I thought my heart was going to burst out!)

The reason I was attracted to this club, was the midweek rides of aroud 20-30 miles, 15+mph, and the weekend rides that go longer distance at higher speeds. So as I improve, I just switch the day that I ride.

If its your first club, personally I would avoid the ones that focus on reliability rides, where you are pretty much left on your own if you get dropped/have a blow out etc.
    exercise.png
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I started riding with a club for the first time about three months ago and I wish I'd done it fifteen years ago when I first thought about it. Most clubs have separate rides for different abilities. In my club it's three and sometimes four groups every Sunday morning and a fast group one evening a week.

The slowest group averages about 15mph but that can vary. No-one gets left behind, so if someone is struggling, the pace slows. The quicker groups aren't so forgiving, but they tend to regroup at the top of each climb. I can't tell you what happens in the fastest group but they tend to be the racers.

The big bonus of the club for me is the friendliness, shared interest and being able to enjoy the ride without having to plan the route and being sufficiently distracted that I don't find myself checking the distance, time, average speed etc. to see how I'm doing.

Don't be put off by wondering if you're good enough or if your bike's up to it or you'll never give it a go. Ask around at your local bike shops for club recommendations and google the ones near you. You won't regret giving it a go.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    Matt, seeing as your Dartford-based, what club did you join?

I've been looking around Bexley but all the club rides seem to be on Sunday's which is an absolute bugger for me as I have my daughter on Sundays. The evening weekday rides sounds ideal.
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    Cheers Matt, they may well have another member rolling up soon :-)

I cant believe that my Google searches for a local club never brought them to light.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I used to ride with Bolton Clarion, most were over 50 but there were some 'younger' ones. Overall they were a nice bunch and it taught me to ride in a group. The only downside were the snobs who considered my then MTB to be worthless and actually used to scorn me on hill climbs - I went with the mid level peeps and had a really enjoyable time.
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    Cheers Matt, they may well have another member rolling up soon :-)

I cant believe that my Google searches for a local club never brought them to light.

I only heard about from a youth cycling team stand at the Dartford festival... They might be ninjas...! :shock:
    exercise.png
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    I recently joined a club and I love the club rides. I have only been out with them a few times but the social side of it has been brilliant for me.
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • Lochy
    Lochy Posts: 70
    CarleyB wrote:
    I recently joined a club and I love the club rides. I have only been out with them a few times but the social side of it has been brilliant for me.

Only because you're slow and lonely :lol:
  • steve_b77

I live in West London too and was just about to start a similar thread.

I just need a nice, beginner-friendly club around my area that I can join. Love my cycling but never joined a club before and no real idea of what to expect.

Guy passed me the other day with "London Dynamos" on back of his top. Is that a good one to join...??

No idea what 15mph feels like either. Need to get a cycle computer.

Let me know what you come up with....might join you...!!
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    Lochy wrote:
    CarleyB wrote:

Only because you're slow and lonely :lol:

:roll: I wondered when you would be along to put your 2 pennies worth in...
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Average speeds seem fine to me.

When you say about racing, whats a typical beginners race i.e. length and kind of speeds required?

Thanks

The races are about an hour and average speed of a Cat 4 race is about 24 mph. This may sound fast but they are normally closed circuit races on smooth tarmac and you are riding in a bunch. This makes a massive difference. I am 47 wasn't that fit when I started road biking this year and I was getting top 10 finishes in the last few races
  • Steve_b77
    steve_b77

I live in West London too and was just about to start a similar thread.

I just need a nice, beginner-friendly club around my area that I can join. Love my cycling but never joined a club before and no real idea of what to expect.

Guy passed me the other day with "London Dynamos" on back of his top. Is that a good one to join...??

No idea what 15mph feels like either. Need to get a cycle computer.

Let me know what you come up with....might join you...!!

I'll see if anything comes up, I'll ask in teh local bike shops on my way home next week.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Like others have said - I wish had done it years ago. What persuaded me was the line

"If you drop off the back after a few miles - so what ? no harm done"

I didn't get dropped - I go with the meduim group - we average around 15 mph - usually we wait at junctions for anyone who is off the pace. - I don't race - and at almost 47 - probably never will - doesn't stop me keeping fit - and enjoying riding with like minded individuals - DO IT !
  • Steve...thank ye kindly sir.

Kingrollo...I like the cut of your jib.