Book : Lapize...Now there was an ace

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2010 in Pro race
For those who enjoy a book or two, I'm reading thisat the moment

I've never read much about pre-WW1 cycling but this is a pretty good story. Really interesting character, good descriptions of what the cycling was like back-in-the-day. This is certainly the first book I've read which talks about which hill is critical in Paris-Roubaix.

It's not as good as the other Bobet book "Tomorrow we ride" but it's definately worth a gander.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I'm reading Matt Seaton's "The Escape Artist" which is good and has been all about his getting into amateur racing so far. Only half way through and from the stuff on the dustcover, think its going to get a bit heartbreaking soon.... :(
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    Are there any decent Merckx books around? I fancy finding out some more about the great man
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Just finished "We were young & carefree" & I would recommend it
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Nice one Iain, i'll be on that! Just reading the Fignon book...
  • iainf72 wrote:
    This is certainly the first book I've read which talks about which hill is critical in Paris-Roubaix.

According to my 'Century of Paris Roubaix' by Pascal Sergent the hill at Doullens was still playing a vital part in the race right up to 1966 when Stablinski's 'modern' course was instigated as the cobbles became harder to find (the winning split went there in 1964 and Poulidor attacked in 1965). We tend to forget the race was something different back in the early days. I seem to remember a big race going through the town recently? Sorry if this is slightly OT!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    This is certainly the first book I've read which talks about which hill is critical in Paris-Roubaix.

Nope also mentioned in Paris-Roubaix A Journey Through Hell and pretty much agrees with that disquieting_museeuws posted above.

So there we go Iainf72 a couple more books for you :lol:
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Just started 'Its all about the Bike', linked to the BBC4 documentary of last week about building a dream road bike.

Seems good, although how a dream bike can wear DT Swiss rims built by an American called Chewy (Swampy? Grumpy?) I have no idea...

Strava is not Zen.
  • An interesting book sounds like 'The Lost Cyclist' , a bit costly http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Cyclist-Adve ... 788&sr=1-1 , Cyclist must have vanished in the area of Turkey many many years ago.

I got the Cycling Plus magazine format repair manual today with a DVD movie of almost 3 hours, now that seems like a good deal. It must be spoken of in other parts of this forum.