Essential winter gear

stueyscott
stueyscott Posts: 112
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I know its still summer but i'm hoping to make a solid effort this year of commuting on the bike through winter. My commute is a 16miles round trip on the Taff trail :-)

Now i'm presuming much the same as with XC MTBiking that being wet and cold are the two worst factors.

So any tips on good inexpensive gear that will keep out the wind and rain???

Are over shoes a good idea despite looking a bit naff! What about bog standard waterproofs and cycle clips - worth a go is there a better alternative???

Comments

• rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Cycle specific waterproofs are best, as they're cut properly leaving less room for leaks. I prefer Endura myself, but if you trawl thru' crc and wiggle you can have a read of reviews on there.

My commute is a bit shorter than yours. I've used sealskinz socks, but may invest in overshoes at some point.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I've never bothered with waterproof trousers on a bike. So long as you can get warm and dry at your destination, I find it's better to just get a bit wet. Ditto shoes/overshoes, although it helps to have 2 pairs of cycling shoes so if one gets soaked you can wear the other the following day while they dry out.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    stueyscott wrote:
    I know its still summer but i'm hoping to make a solid effort this year of commuting on the bike through winter. My commute is a 16miles round trip on the Taff trail :-)

Now i'm presuming much the same as with XC MTBiking that being wet and cold are the two worst factors.

So any tips on good inexpensive gear that will keep out the wind and rain???

Are over shoes a good idea despite looking a bit naff! What about bog standard waterproofs and cycle clips - worth a go is there a better alternative???

I came through last winter (but only in London). I do 12 miles each way.

I very, very rarely bothered with waterproof anything, they are too hot.

I got tights with that slightly fleecy lining (dhb ones as it happens)

I wore a walking wicking base layer, a t shirt and sometimes a sweat shirt.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,636
    I found it pretty rare that I actually got wet in winter. Main thing was having warm windproof stuff, but obviously waterproof is a bonus if you get stuck.

I used Ronhill Bikesters (cheap leggings basically). Wiggle seem to have stopped sellling them but its basically these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Ronhill_Classic_Tracksters/5360044443/

Altura Night Vision Jacket
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altura_Night_Vision_Waterproof_Cycling_Jacket/5360044957/?referid=frogoog&source=googleps

Gore Overshoes (not waterproof but kept my feet warm even when wet)

Whatever your warmest gloves are, plus these liners underneath http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0359

If its not too cold you can loose the jacket and wear layers of warmish stuff, that you can remove if you get hot.

If it looks like rain I sometimes take some waterproof trousers, and use them with ankle clips. These I think... http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/041321.html which works but you do end up pretty sweaty.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm going to try waterproof cycling "boots" this winter as the Endura neoprene overshoes I bought last winter were utter rubbish. Cold feet and cold hands are the key enemies (up here at least). I've yet to find the ideal gloves though I like the idea of diver's gloves for wet days - Sealskinz "Waterproof" keep water in and let water in. I think I'm in the camp that staying warm is key and forget trying to stay dry. Merino is great. I have the dhb tights and they were fine down to about -5C. Think I'll invest in a Gore Windproof top - Phantom seems to come highly recco'd. Finally, a Buff for your ears and some specs for your eyes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I prefer windproof layers to waterproof, with the exception of my feet. there is nothing worse than putting on soaking wet socks and shoes before you head off for the evening.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Asprilla wrote:
    I prefer windproof layers to waterproof, with the exception of my feet. there is nothing worse than putting on soaking wet socks and shoes before you head off for the evening.

Keep a dry pair of socks at work :wink:
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Mudguards

Panniers to put more clothes in

Decent lights (I've just built up a dynamo hub wheel) - especially if no street lighting.

A decent cofee for when you arrive :)
  • asprilla
    will3 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Keep a dry pair of socks at work :wink:

I carry a spare pair in my bag (even today) but it's still better to keep your shoes dry in the first place.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • yup waterproofs fairly pointless IMO. Good windproof kit and layering the way to go. Decent gloves and definitely overshoes. And Woolie Boolie socks, natch.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Best gloves I have found are the nightvision ones and for extra warmth some sealskinz wool liner gloves, they just trap a bit more air around your hand and are thin enough to still fit the night visions over the top
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Clothing
    I have 2 pairs of gloves Specialized + Aldi gloves cheapo gloves.
    The Specialized ones are too thick and warm - I always use the Aldi gloves.

Feet - 2 pairs of socks + cheap overshoes to keep feet reasonably dry - they get pretty knackered anyway with lots of use.

Base layers are good when its really cold in January. Leading up to Christmas is usually not too bad in the Midlands.

Buffs are good.

Waterproof/windproof cycling jacket.
    ---
    Most dangerous times are when its rained and then frozen overnight - skating rinks.
    I try not to cycle in snow.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited July 2010
    Merino Icebreaker 200 base layer + Gore Path II jacket.

This combo isn't exactly cheap but wait for a good offer to come up, especially on the jacket through wiggle. It kept me warm at -5 and the quality of the gear means I'll get many more winters out of them. Also sold in non-garish colours for off the bike wear.

I also found glasses essential last winter, 20mph + freezing winds = cold eye balls!

A good pair of breathable waterproof gloves is a must, I use Seal skinz but your better off trying in store for a perfect fit.

A dhb headband is a life saver, my ears would have fallen off without one.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_H ... 360031270/

For the bottom half, I'm not as bothered about being fully waterproof, some dhb Merston high vis bib tights & Endura Humvee or Zymme shorts do the job, with some Altura overshoes to finish.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360045078/
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Overshoes are absolutely essential, even in summer it takes my shoes 2 days to fully dry out after 11 miles of propper rain. Buy some decent gore tex ones and they are fantastic. Also keeps your feet warm. Other essentials for me would include earband/hat for under helmet and a buff.

Decent gloves. Roubaix tights.

Water-resistant softshell for most days but I do think waterproofs are needed if it is propper raining. I have eVent overtrousers and jacket which are amazing. I sweat plenty but do not get hot/sweaty in these. Granted I coudn't wear them in summer but for winter they are the business. Cheaper waterproofs are false ecomomy as you just get the boil in the bag effect.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    A Gore windstopper skull cap made a big difference to my comfort during the coldest days in winter.
  • asprilla
    SimonLyons wrote:
    Buffs are good.

Very true.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Lining in the Cairngorms I know far too much about biking in cold wet weather!

Fit mudguards.
    Are over shoes a good idea despite looking a bit naff

Planet X overshoes, cheap and easy to put on. Work a charm. Keep your feet warm as well as dry. Best seven quid I ever spent.

Good snowboarding gloves / mittens.

Use clip in pedals or your feet will slip on wet pedals.

Clear cycling glasses to keep the rain and wind out of your eyes.

Sealskinz waterproof hat, simply wonderful. Try to buy in person rather than mail order as their sizing is a bit small.

You might not want to wear waterproof trousers all the time but keep a set rolled up with you. Handy in a downpour and a good second layer if it gets really cold.

Be sure you've got a waterproof top with big zips up the sides for ventilation. You will sweat a lot, the aim is not only to keep the rain off but let the sweat out. Even down to -10C I just wear a thin cycling top and a good smock.

Fit mudguards.

If you get a soaking be sure to get everything super dry quickly, nothing worse than putting on damp gloves.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I commute 5 days a week during winter using a Gore Phantom windstopper top and base layer. It may not be cheap at £90, but it's brilliant.

My tried & tested:

Endura baabaa hat
    Gore Phantom top
    Wicking Base layer
    Still trying to find good gloves
    Endura singletrack trousers
    Sealskinz socks

All are fast drying which means it's all dry for the return journey :D
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I'd recommend

-a decent windproof jacket
    -a cheap rainproof jacket
    -waterproof gloves
    -a buff
    -glasses
    -overshoes (though they never last long)

I was quite comfortable setting off at -3 in shorts/windproof jacket. However, even with two thick pairs of gloves, two pairs of socks and overshoes I still got cold fingers and toes.
  • meanredspider
    Windchill is a real problem. At -9C my brakes and gears froze after a mile or so downhill - not to mention my nose, fingers and toes.

I can't wear a cap as my head boils - so the buff is ideal.

Living (or lining :wink: ) north of the Cairngorms, it's reasonably dry in the middle of winter (Jan-Mar) - I hardly ever need waterproof kit. I might, however, splash out on the Assos layering gloves system because it's often blood cold.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    At -9C my brakes and gears froze

It can also stop your freewheel working - happened to me on two different bikes. This year I'm going fixed so it can't happen again.
  • meanredspider
    pastryboy wrote:

It can also stop your freewheel working - happened to me on two different bikes. This year I'm going fixed so it can't happen again.

1000ft of climbing on average in each direction, you can keep your fixie! It was bad enough having just the big rings to play with.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    My Endura bib tights have been excellent for three years and should just do another winter. I have never felt cold for longer than a few minutes wearing them. Don't get padded ones though, wear your normal shorts undeneath. Woolie Boolie socks and BBB overshoes (not neoprene) although I also have some Gore ones which are OK. My Gore Next To Skin windstopper jacket has also been pretty good - with a merino wool baselayer being adequate down to about 5C and a thin mid layer fleece for anything below that. It has removable sleeves which I haven't used for at least two years. I bought Assos gloves for last winter but didn't use them as some £9 Planet X look-a-likes (with skiing liners for very cold days) just about lasted.

But if I was starting from scratch now, I'd just buy Assos or Castelli outer layer stuff.