Contador to leave Astana

sherer
sherer Posts: 2,460
edited July 2010 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... -of-season

Seems he is off at the end of the season. After the way Astana seemed to work better than Saxo Bank I thought he might be better off staying where he was

Comments

• poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Sky will sign him up - Discuss
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Is he likely to take any teammates with him? Navarro seemed to do a good job for him this year - wonder if he'll jump ship too
  • There is a thread on this already.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Navarro and Noval will probably go. David De La Fuente and Jesus Hernandez and possibilities and if I wa AC I would take Tirolongo too.

As he has a personal sponsorship deal with Spesh he is limited on who he can sign for. Sky have a Pino deal so no chance of signing there.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    apparently accoring to cycling news :- "Contador is insisting on taking four Astana riders with him: Benjamin Noval, David de La Fuente, Jesus Hernandez and Dani Navarro."

will Astana even continue in cycling now ?
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    sherer wrote:
    Navarro and Noval will probably go. David De La Fuente and Jesus Hernandez and possibilities and if I wa AC I would take Tirolongo too.

As he has a personal sponsorship deal with Spesh he is limited on who he can sign for. Sky have a Pino deal so no chance of signing there.

Would be defeatist for them to sign a Spaniard champion when their mission in life is for a Brit to win the Tour in the next 5 years...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    poppit wrote:
    Sky will sign him up - Discuss

If it is true he wants around 7m Euros per season I can't see Sky signing him.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    sherer wrote:

Would be defeatist for them to sign a Spaniard champion when their mission in life is for a Brit to win the Tour in the next 5 years...

His Puerto links however tenuous would probably mean Sky wouldnt sign him
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Yikes! Assuming he ends up with Riis AND listens to him, he's going to VERY hard to beat. Strategy mixed with his physical talent? Unbeatable.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    donrhummy wrote:
    Yikes! Assuming he ends up with Riis AND listens to him, he's going to VERY hard to beat. Strategy mixed with his physical talent? Unbeatable.

Puerto mixed with Mr 60%, unbeatable
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    donrhummy wrote:

Puerto mixed with Mr 60%, unbeatable

Sure, but let me ask you - do you really believe that everyone he beat the last 3 years was drug free? Do you believe that guys in places 2-20 were all dope-free?
  • shinyhelmut
    Well I hope the guy who came 4th last year was clean but that is as far as I'm prepared to stick my neck out.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    The rumour mill favours Sunguard Riis and Fabian:
    http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/con ... scic_1/Tes
    The deal to include the other Spanish lads.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • marie blanc
    marie blanc Posts: 135
    In El Pais, Fabian to BMC, and reasons for AC going to Riis: deal with Specialized, friction with Vino, and not feeling comfortable with Martinelli

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes ... dep_4/Tes/
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    apparently accoring to cycling news :- "Contador is insisting on taking four Astana riders with him: Benjamin Noval, David de La Fuente, Jesus Hernandez and Dani Navarro."

will Astana even continue in cycling now ?

Certainly.

The emphasys of the team will change, sure, with Vino becomming the boss in every respect. Seem to recall Vino saying that his next mission in life was to identify a Kazakh capable of winning the Tour and go back to why Astana was founded in the first place - to promote and provide a vehicle for Kazakhs to compete in pro-cycling. Except Kashechkin of course! And Murevyev...............who is now officially a traitor!
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    Certainly.

The emphasys of the team will change, sure, with Vino becomming the boss in every respect. Seem to recall Vino saying that his next mission in life was to identify a Kazakh capable of winning the Tour and go back to why Astana was founded in the first place - to promote and provide a vehicle for Kazakhs to compete in pro-cycling. Except Kashechkin of course! And Murevyev...............who is now officially a traitor!

Joking aside.......

I wouldn't rule out either of them returning to Astana. If anything the departure of Bertie is likely to open the door to Kash. I believe that he has only signed with Lampre for the rest of the season? He just needs to get people used to seeing his face again at the Vuelta, then once accepted as part of the scene again, he could be back with Astana. Taps nose Duffers stylee :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Astana is Vino's team

Kash and Vino don't get on at all anymore.

He's unlikely to be at Astana. He's riding almost as an independent with an oil company paying his wages. Odd situation
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I don't know which frictions they are on about Vino, he was excellent to Contador during the Tour, as good as Navarro.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Well I hope the guy who came 4th last year was clean but that is as far as I'm prepared to stick my neck out.

pro race cynic mode on

This would be the same guy who never had shown GT potential at anytime throughout his career and then all of a sudden he can hang with the best in the mountains to be a GC contendor . Yet strangely this year when he has targetted it he is unable to do just that....................god imagine if he was Italian or Spanish.

pro race cynic mode off

Dont think for a moment he has doped but this is the logic line that runs through this forum.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Someone put an extra spoonful of bitterness on his corn flakes this morning
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I love it that no one even thinks a possibility of joining Bruyneel.

Has Shack any money though.

One at a time please.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • shinyhelmut
    Moray Gub wrote:

pro race cynic mode on

This would be the same guy who never had shown GT potential at anytime throughout his career and then all of a sudden he can hang with the best in the mountains to be a GC contendor . Yet strangely this year when he has targetted it he is unable to do just that....................god imagine if he was Italian or Spanish.

pro race cynic mode off

Dont think for a moment he has doped but this is the logic line that runs through this forum.

You forgot to mention he rode for Cofidis when Moreni tested positive. More proof. :roll:
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I don't know which frictions they are on about Vino, he was excellent to Contador during the Tour, as good as Navarro.
    Maybe less willingly, and less eager to do it again though...