The Accountant is departing the eagle

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2010 in Pro race
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/ ... TE=DEFAULT

Most likely he'll form a Puerto-tastic team with Riis.

I am pleased to see he is tranquilo.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Team Sunguard-Specialized, with Navarro.
    Contador has a contract with Specialized whereby he can only ride in a team equipped with their bikes. Made it easier for Riis to get him.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Interesting - wasn't expecting that. I hope Navarro can leave too...

Imagine if he had Contador on his team. I think the Schlecks will suffer trying to start a new team and without the quality Riis but good luck to them.

I read that Contador is on 5.4m euro atm and asked for 7m - not an official source though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Yep, Riis is probably the next dodgy DS to have on his palmares. Gianetti in '12? :wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

There was talk during the Tour of a Schleck link up, but that would be counter productive I would have thought.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Does this explain why Riis was so rational during chaingate/
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The accountant indeed, looks like he's counting his pennies.

Astana seem a different team to the chaos of the past but if Contador goes, I imagine his Spanish pals will be on the move too. Riis is linked but I've seen Rabo, QS and the Caisse set up linked, the idea that dangling Contador in front of Spanish sponsors could entice them to replace Caisse.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Bertie appeared to be pretty close to signing with QS last year. Had it not been for Astana's hard-line on contract enforcement, he probably would've gone either there or Garmin, if the rumours are true. Maybe the doors have been closed on those two options. Especially if he's looking for 7m EUR!!!

Team Schleck-Luxembourg is a strange one - I would've thought they would've wanted to get a Grant Tour under their belts before going solo to give the project some credibility, but good luck to them.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Interesting - wasn't expecting that. I hope Navarro can leave too...

Imagine if he had Contador on his team. I think the Schlecks will suffer trying to start a new team and without the quality Riis but good luck to them.

I read that Contador is on 5.4m euro atm and asked for 7m - not an official source though.

Caisse or at least its replacement ........he can take the place of that other Puerto guy cant remember his name now though i do recall he was true champion .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    Moray Gub wrote:

Caisse or at least its replacement ........he can take the place of that other Puerto guy cant remember his name now though i do recall he was true champion .

LL Cool Sanchez? Is it him?
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

LL Cool Sanchez? Is it him?

No not him that other True Champion © FF.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    missed this thead due to the title and started a new one.

He has a personal sponsorship deal with Spesh so I think he is limited with who he can sign for.

Looks like Riis it is with Sunguard and Specialized putting up the money
  • moray_gub
    sherer wrote:

He has a personal sponsorship deal with Spesh so I think he is limited with who he can sign for.

His contract is/was for one year with an option to renew so as Phil Ligget would say he is free to fly.
  • sherer
    Moray Gub wrote:
    sherer wrote:

His contract is/was for one year with an option to renew so as Phil Ligget would say he is free to fly.

do you mean his Astana contract or the Spesh one he has ?
  • moray_gub
    sherer wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    sherer wrote:

do you mean his Astana contract or the Spesh one he has ?

I read that the Spesh contract was worth 700,00 euros was for one year with an option to renew.
  • sherer
    ok cheers for that. Didn't know how long the personal deal was for. Seems they are keen to keep it going and fund the Riis team according to CN
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Moray Gub wrote:
    I read that the Spesh contract was worth 700,00 euros was for one year with an option to renew.
    I read Bertie's Specialized contract ran into 2012.
  • sampurnell
    sampurnell Posts: 126
    I Like the fact Bertie is now refering to himself in the third person:
    "Alberto Contador has rejected the Astana team's ultimatum, which had asked for an answer on its renewal offer on the upcoming seasons by Tuesday," Contador said in a statement. "Alberto Contador will calmly study all of the possibilities on offers for the coming season, and he hasn't dismissed any of them."

Sampurnell keeps meaning to do this, but i always lapse... dam it!
    :lol:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    sampurnell wrote:
    I Like the fact Bertie is now refering to himself in the third person:
    "Alberto Contador has rejected the Astana team's ultimatum, which had asked for an answer on its renewal offer on the upcoming seasons by Tuesday," Contador said in a statement. "Alberto Contador will calmly study all of the possibilities on offers for the coming season, and he hasn't dismissed any of them."

Sampurnell keeps meaning to do this, but i always lapse... dam it!
    :lol:

How do you know it's Bertie?

"Contador said in a statement."

Fran Contador is his Agent/manager afterall.

Or he could have been hanging around Vino too much and is indeed talking in the 3rd person.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • sampurnell
    sampurnell Posts: 126
    :oops:
    didnt know that.

Article only mentions Alberto though so Sampurnells assumption still stands! :P
  • iainf72
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    ^
    Vino kinda p!ssed that Contador probably decided to leave Astana some time ago. From the article:

The repercussions of Contador's announcement that he is quitting the Kazakh team are also rumbling on. Speaking to L'Equipe, team captain Alexandre Vinokourov disclosed that he had asked Contador if he was planning to stay with Astana in front of the whole team after the Tour's final stage in Paris. "I really hope so," Contador is reported to have said.

"We did all we could for Alberto for three weeks by sacrificing ourselves for him. I only hope that he didn't take the decision before the start of the Tour," said Vinokourov. He added that the team had never put pressure on the Spaniard to extend his contract, contradicting Contador's claims that he'd been given an ultimatum to agree to a new deal by July 27. "Alberto had been pushing for a new contract for four months, and it was he who was pressing to re-sign with us," Vinokourov stated.