Truing a wheel IN the forks?

ktaylor
ktaylor Posts: 58
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I recently enquired about getting a Fulcrum 7 wheel trued. Halfords wanted me to bring the whole bike in to true the wheel in the forks. They claimed this was better than doing the wheel on its own. However my LBS just wanted the wheel and did a fine job.

Anyone encountered this before?

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Halfords probably don't have a truing jig. =) The only possible advantage of the wheel being in the forks, as far as I can see, is that it could be "trued" with regard to the brakes themselves (i.e. take account of them being off centre), or perhaps if the forks themselves aren't square; which isn't likely to be a true wheel at all.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    ktaylor wrote:
    I recently enquired about getting a Fulcrum 7 wheel trued. Halfords wanted me to bring the whole bike in to true the wheel in the forks. They claimed this was better than doing the wheel on its own. However my LBS just wanted the wheel and did a fine job.

Anyone encountered this before?
    Pleeeaase get a bike shop to do it. Trueing a wheel in the frame is little more than a roadside repair. If you true a wheel and it doesn't line up with the brakes, this means your brakes are misaligned. This can be rectified in about 10 seconds with a firm twist or use of an allen key.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Interesting. I wonder how they are planning on checking the radial trueness (or should that be the radial truth)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    will3 wrote:
    Interesting. I wonder how they are planning on checking the radial trueness (or should that be the radial truth)

They probably won't. If they don't even have a stand i doubt they have much expertise in that area.

Saying that i've built all my wheels using my frame. For radial, i just tape some card in the right place.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    will3 wrote:

They can't handle the radial truth
    <a>road</a>