Which Climbs to do in Alps?

drewfromrisca
drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
edited July 2010 in The bottom bracket
Ok so going on from my post about my holiday booking, which climbs can be recommended to do in the alps?

I'm staying for a week in Vaujany right near alpe d huez so that ones a given, then moving up to Annecy a week later. What are the must do/don'ts in other peoples opinions?
There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Been out in Morzine earlier this month, rode the Col de Joux Plane, Avoriaz, Col de Joux Verte, Col de Ramaz, Col de la Colombiere, Col de Aravis (sic) and a few other smaller ones. All fantastic, the Joux Plane is probably my favourite - ideal for testing your form, its a rambling wooded road before breaking through to the last few open corners, gradient varies a fair bit but is generally pretty steep (averages around 10% I think) and a good length (about 8 miles) to be challenging without being too much of a killer. I've heard its similar difficulty to d'Huez, although d'Huez is a much smoother more uniform kind of a climb (similar to Avoriaz but longer / steeper).

Next time I'd like to ride d'Huez and the Galibier, and I've heard that the Madeleine is arguably the toughest of the lot. If the Etape is in the Alps next summer (which I reckon it will be) I'll probably be there.
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    there all good out there in the Alps... Col de Vars, Iseran, Izoard, Cormet de Roseland are all pretty high and long... Galibier only gets hard once you cross the river, but if you do the Telegraph before it makes for a long climb with just a descent into Valloire ( spel), before you go upwards again..
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    We based ourselves in Briancon last year and did d'Huez, Sestriere, Izoard and some general riding. The Galibier was shut in early June.

Needed a van to get from Geneva but it was great fun.
  • drewfromrisca
    Cheers guys, I cannot cannot wait!!! Loaded the France part of my garmin maps today and almost wet myself with excitement :lol:

• jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    check out this website

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/
  • drewfromrisca
    Good skills jp good skills!

• greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    3250381075_9fe48848c4_o.jpg

Don't forget this one, La Berarde, just down the road from the Alpe, well worth checking out...
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    3250381075_9fe48848c4_o.jpg

Don't forget this one, La Berarde, just down the road from the Alpe, well worth checking out...

I'll second the La Berarde and we rode it in June of this year. Incredible views and often an overlooked climb, especially as everyone wants to do Alp Duez. We also rode Alp Duez 3 times (last time against the clock), Croix De Fer and Galibier. There are all sorts of climbs around that region and a lot aren't so well known. Can also recommend Morzine and Samoens area which we did in 2009. Climbed Joux Plane a couple of times, Avoriaz and Colombiere. All nice climbs.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    all of the above mentioned are good. Just to add les deux alpes is just up the road too and well worth a visit. Do d'huez, turn right at the top, nice descent and then do the sarenne. Descent from that takes you to the reservoir and the foot of les deux alpes.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    and if you do la berarde then on the way back down get the cable car at venosc and you can do the descent of les deux alpes without the climbing bit!
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Don't forget the road doesn't stop in alpe d'huez it keeps on going up to Col de Sarenne.

We did it from the reverse side and it was a wonderful ride through some lovely french villages . The road is pretty rough on the top but well worth it imho.

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/col-de-sarenne/
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Defo this!

PoledancingonGalibierSummit.jpg
  • drewfromrisca
    :lol: sweet

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I'm staying for a week in Vaujany right near alpe d huez
    You're going to love the climb back to the village at the end of each day. :twisted:

The lady pros use it as an alternative to racing up Alp d'Huez.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    The lady pros use it as an alternative to racing up Alp d'Huez.

Prostitutes on bikes :o Vive la France
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    As recommended, La Berarde is a lovely 25km-ish dead end valley ride that becomes increasingly rugged and remote-looking the further along it you venture. As the asphalt finally runs out there is a cluster of places to buy drinks and food, mostly serving people on hiking trips.

If you do the cablecar thing to Les Deux Alpes on the return you will also then have the option of taking the "Route de la Roche" from Le Freney d'Oisans, the village just below the Lake Chambon dam where you emerge from the 2 Alpes road. This will allow you to avoid the N1091 highway that runs down the main Romanche valley to Bourg d'Oisans, as the long straight sections are pretty dull riding.

The "Route" is a little road that clings to the side of the cliff keeping a fairly constant height as the main valley falls away on your left and will take you all the way to the "Dutch corner" on the Alpe d'Huez climb. From there ride up the middle third of the AdH climb and the "Route" then continues NW along the ridge from the cable car station in Huez to the hamlet of Villard-Reculas, then descends to Lake Verney, near the foot of the Vaujany climb. Probably not a route to take if you are chasing the sunset though, as there are sheer drops off the side of the road in places.