Slightly Sore achilles

Graeme_aberdeen
Graeme_aberdeen Posts: 156
edited August 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Hey all.

I've injured my achilles tendon slightly playing football, however it's not so sore that I cant ride my bike, but does get a bit tender on longer rides.

Anyone know any good tips for building it back up at all?

Thanks people

G
I like bike, bike is bike.

Comments

• Phippsy
    Phippsy Posts: 26
    I have exactly the same problem, I keep doing it playing football (I am 40 though), and should know better. It seems to take an age to heal as well, though doesn't bother me on the bike.

The only thing that I've found ithat seems to speed recovery is the foam roller. Specifically using it on the calf of the injured leg. By crikey it hurt at first, then eased progressively until I can roll the muscle over it without any pain. I also ice the tendon sporadically to reduce the inflammation, but whether that's making any difference this long after the injury is moot.

Anyway, it seems to be healing quickly now so hopefully I've sussed it. Good luck, I know the frustration.
  • One exercise is to balance the front half of your foot on a one of the stairs at home with your heal and other half hanging freely over the edge then push up using your toes/front of your foot. The lower you drop your heal the more strain you are putting on your achiles so start off easy and when when your pain has subsided.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'