Nearly wiped out by a bus last night

Butterd2
Butterd2 Posts: 937
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Riding down Charlton Road approaching a traffic island in the middle of the road a bus tries to overtake me and either misjudges the distance to the island, my speed (20+mph) or simply didn't give a shit. He swings back to the left to avoid running straight over the top of the island and would have side swiped me had I not grabbed the anchors for all I was worth.

As if to prove the pointlessness of this manoeuvre he then has to stop 50 yards up the road anyway, so I pull up in front of him take out my phone and take a photo of both him and his numberplate. Sent an email off to tfl last night with photos attached so we will see if I get any response.........

Once I had finished with my photography I went to pull away, missed my footing on the SPD's and very nearly fell in a heap in front of him thus making a complete cock of myself which was unfortunate. :oops:
Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    scary...

unlucky on the clip slip.

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I usually find buses are the least of my problems, they're slow moving and usually pretty easy to pass and they usually indicate and are more aware of their surroundings than car drivers can be, however I almost got squished by a bendy bus on OKR a few months back.

Was waiting at a major junction, at the red light. LIghts changed to green and I accelerated off. Bendy bus driver behind tried to outpace me but utimately ended up alongside me an unable to pass. The road was a dual cariageway and because I was in the way and he couldn't o any faster than me he couldn't pull in to get out of the way of impatient car drivers behind, so in the end he just pulled in anyway and almost squished me up against the kerb. I had to slam the anchors hard on to slow from about 25mph.

As I went past I banged on the bus door. He just avoided looking at me and pretended to be looking in his right wing mirror...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Well you were no doubt in shock at the dangerous driving of the bus.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    TfL are normally quite good at investigating this sort of thing. Most buses carry cctv so they can review the incident. Out of interest what company was it?

I had a spate of getting cut up by Abellio drivers a while back but the situation seemed to improve after 3 complaints in the space of 1 week.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I usually find buses are the least of my problems, they're slow moving and usually pretty easy to pass and they usually indicate and are more aware of their surroundings than car drivers can be,

Have to agree with that, the majority are pretty good and I did mention that in my email.
    Kurako wrote:
    Out of interest what company was it?

London Central (The 422)
    suzyb wrote:
    Well you were no doubt in shock at the dangerous driving of the bus.

Thanks Suzy I'll use that one (still bloody embarrassing though!)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols