W...T...F...

BiggerBoat
BiggerBoat Posts: 168
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
So I am curbside riding with slowish moving traffic. The car next to me starts drifting over toward the curb and me, closer and closer, squeezing me out. Soon I am nearly out of road. I tap considerately on the window and to my surprise; the driver is READING A MAGAZINE. I gave a bemused look at the driver and rode off. Christ on a bike, reading a fkn magazine while driving!
We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
Trek Madone 5.2
Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I was driving down to London (LHR) one time on business (worked for British Midland at the time)

Southbound on the M40 not far north of the M25 (the bit that is 4 lanes now) I was in heavy traffic, speed for all vehicles was about 40mph. I passed a guy who was reading a broadsheet newspaper while driving. He would occasionally look up to see what was going on....

Scary world out there.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    BiggerBoat wrote:
    So I am curbside riding with slowish moving traffic. The car next to me starts drifting over toward the curb and me, closer and closer, squeezing me out. Soon I am nearly out of road. I tap considerately on the window and to my surprise; the driver is READING A MAGAZINE. I gave a bemused look at the driver and rode off. Christ on a bike, reading a fkn magazine while driving!

What was that police site again for reporting bad driving?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Once saw somebody driving and eating off a plate with a fork :shock:

In East Sheen at 0645 this morning I pulled up alongside a Megane with the window open. The driver was a huge fat bloke and he was munching a pie out of a silver tray. The cornerstone of a good breakfast :lol:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Saw a lady once eating a burger out of a plastic tray with both hands, whilst going along HSK.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    A WVM threw the remains of a spliff out of his window as I pulled alongside him in Wandsworth yesterday evening... got cut up by another WVM on his sodding mobile as well, I kept quiet tho - he was one scary looking mofo.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    See now if only these drivers were licensed, paid road tax and had registration numbers on their vehicles, then they'd................oh hang on no that's cyclists innit.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    I once seen a driver stop at a red light, lift a pint of lager, drink a couple of mouthfuls and drive on when the lights changed.

(If he had no previous alcohol in his system and therefore still below the legal limits would I be right in assuming that no law was being broken here?)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kieran_Burns
    I once seen a driver stop at a red light, lift a pint of lager, drink a couple of mouthfuls and drive on when the lights changed.

(If he had no previous alcohol in his system and therefore still below the legal limits would I be right in assuming that no law was being broken here?)

Actually yes - you aren't allowed to actually eat or drink WHILE driving.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    edited July 2010

Does this include while stopped with the handbrake on?

Why do cars come with a multitude of cup holders? (ETA- Suppose you could ask why can cars do over 70mph?)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707

Not sure that is the case. Eating or drinking while driving COULD lead to dangerous driving, but they can still be done in a safe manner, and that would be legal AFAIK.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Same happened to me last night but the f*ckwit had no magazine/paper/beer/food with them, I guess that makes them even more incompetant!

Best i've seen in a woman in a convertable with baby in the back, texting with one hand, cup of coffee in the other.
  • BiggerBoat
    These are some amazing stories! I wonder if we had a contest, who would win. The texting and drinking coffee sounds like a gold medal performance.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • BiggerBoat
    Ok, this wins hands down (forgive the pun)

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/motor ... -6955.html
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • Bagman
    Bagman Posts: 311
    Driving down the M11 some time ago, there was a bright silver glinting of metal from a car in the middle lane. As I passed him, I realised that it was a dumbell. The bloke was pumping iron whilst driving!
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    If he had no previous alcohol in his system and therefore still below the legal limits would I be right in assuming that no law was being broken here?
    I didn't think eating and drinking whilst driving was actually illegal, could be wrong though. Drinking alcohol whilst is illegal though, even if you're not over the limit. In fact merely having an open alcohol container in the car (ie a passenger is drinking) is illegal.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Kieran_Burns
    People have been prosecuted / fined - it comes under the 'due care and attention' banner.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    People have been prosecuted / fined - it comes under the 'due care and attention' banner.

That is a wide net... slipping a small cube of chocolate into your mouth may not break it, but tucking into a burger and fries could cross the line. So not true to say ALL eating or drinking is illegal.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Kieran_Burns

That is a wide net... slipping a small cube of chocolate into your mouth may not break it, but tucking into a burger and fries could cross the line. So not true to say ALL eating or drinking is illegal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... wheel.html
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    pst88 wrote:
    If he had no previous alcohol in his system and therefore still below the legal limits would I be right in assuming that no law was being broken here?
    I didn't think eating and drinking whilst driving was actually illegal, could be wrong though. Drinking alcohol whilst is illegal though, even if you're not over the limit. In fact merely having an open alcohol container in the car (ie a passenger is drinking) is illegal.

I'm sure that's the case if you have an open container of alcohol in your car and no passengers, obviously down to Police discretion, but I'm not sure its illegal for passengers to be drinking, provided you aren't drinking yourself... obviously also subject to a breath test.

I remember when I was much younger, my friend was the dedicated driver one night and he got pulled over and breathalyzed. Myself and a friend were still drinking cans of lager from a party we had been too. Presumably they saw us and decided to pull us over to check whether he had been drinking too. He passed the test and they let us on our way.

Also just think of certain vehicles like Limousine's which often have alcohol for the passengers.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

No law per se to stop you eating or drinking whilst driving.

The offence is not being in control of your vehicvle and its debatable whether this means for example you can't drink from a bottle.

clearly holding a plate and using a fork is an offence under this law
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107
    i once spotted a WVM veering dangerously from one lane to another. i thought maybe the guy was hvaing a heart attack or something. i approached with caution (i was driving) and overtook quickly to get out of the danger zone, while having a quick butchers to see whether he was ok. turned out that there were two young guys having a mock fight (one of them being the "driver").
  • rmhodv
    rmhodv Posts: 83
    A good few years back now I was driving along and stopped at a Zebra crossing to let some people cross. Once they had crossed I was just about to pull away and bang. Someone had gone onto the back of me. I got out of my car as did the gentleman in the other car covered in something. I thought that he'd hurt himself in the acciident. I was just about to ask if he was ok, but he beat me to it saying 'Sorry mate I was eating a tin of peaches' I kid you not.
  • Saw a bloke on M42, cigarette in one hand, mobile phone in the other, steering with his knees. At least he was keeping the speed down to the low 80s! :shock:
    If you see the candle as flame the meal is already cooked.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Once, while driving on the motorway I looked over to my right and there was a woman in a brand new BMW doing 90 miles per hour with her face up close to her rear view mirror putting on her eyeliner! I looked away for a couple of seconds and when I looked back she was halfway over in my lane still working on that makeup!

It scared me so much that I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the bacon roll out of my other hand. In all the confusion of trying to straighten up the car using my knees against the steering wheel, it knocked my mobile from my ear, which fell into the coffee between my legs, causing it to splash and burn BIG JIM AND THE TWINS, causing me to scream, which made me drop the cigarette out of my mouth, ruined my shirt and diconnected an important call.

Some people! :roll:

Shamelessly stolen
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • pst88 wrote:
    In fact merely having an open alcohol container in the car (ie a passenger is drinking) is illegal.

You've been watching too many US TV shows.

No offence over here.