OT - What should I do

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Looking for a change of career. Been in finance for a while - too long. Need to do something possibly outdoors, probably bike related. No huge experience, but passionate, and committed to great customer service. Give me some ideas!!
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Looking for a change of career. Been in finance for a while - too long. Need to do something possibly outdoors, probably bike related. No huge experience, but passionate, and committed to great customer service. Give me some ideas!!
    Bicycle courier.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bike-tour guide in North America during the summer. Then head off down under to NZ to do the same in their summer.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Stick with the job you have. Unless you don't want to be able to buy the things you want because you need to save any money you make to pay the bills.

At least until this recession is over and the banks are back throwing money at everyone.

Seriously make sure this is something you 100% want to do and isn't just a bit of boredom/stress that you'll get over. Think it through fully, worse case scenario stuff and make sure you wont regret it (or have an out if you do).
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    If you don't have any family responsibilities, take the chance to try something different whilst you can. It doesn't matter much what it is, I'd go somewhere I was interested in, work in a bar, network, and suss it out from there. :)
  • People need picnics delivering to the most surprising places, some of them only accessible by bikes.
    Do you also have an interest in food ? OK all cyclists are interested in food, daft question, back to the picnics. Top quality gear, chilled and delivered in a pre-ordered time slot. Maybe OK for the summer festival season.
    Bon appetit.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    How old are you? How much of a pay cut can you cope with? Do you have a mortgage?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Lumberjack
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    I worked in outdoor ed many years ago and it was brilliant fun. Really enjoyed my time but eventually left as I realised that there was no long term prospects.

Does your employer offer carreer breaks? Even if it is not publicised, it might be worth asking HR if you could take a year (or two) out and return to a job. Some Finance companies allow this but state that there is no guarantee you can return to your original job but will find something at a similar level.

However, as suzyb says above, make sure this is really what you want to do and it is not a reaction to your return to work after (what sounds like) a brilliant holiday.

-Spider-
  • Wallace1492
    Just dabbling for ideas just now. Used to like job, but not for last 2 years, but has its moments. I will not be doing anything in a hurry, or even this year, just casting the net out to see what possibilities are out there.

Definately going to do Trail Cycle Leader course and First Aid, then maybe MTB Leader course, after that who know's what.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

Two friends of mine have left finance for Outdoor education. One was already a skier, windsurfer & climber. He did a couple of extra courses to beef up his qualifications then started with Falcon sailing or SunSail, moved to an outdoor centre on Loch Rannoch and on to teaching skiing at Nevis Range & doing yacht deliveries and mountain guiding.

The other left to do a higher education course in Outdoor Ed. I'll email hime & see how he's getting on. He was a mountain biker, primarily. I don't recall any other specific activities.
    Both were in their mid to late twenties when they switched.

FWIW. I'm an RYA dinghy instructor and have worked at several sailing schools. I currently teach on a voluntary basis at a local sailing club (Venachar).

It's very much a lifestyle choice, as I'm sure you're aware. You don't get rich doing this stuff and the best way to make a small fortune in Outdoor Leisure is to start with a large one.

I don't know what your role is in finance, but you might consider contracting? You could potentially spend part of a year making money and part outdoors- I have another friend who's spent the last few winters snowboarding and the summers as an IT contractor in the Scottish finance sector.

Finally, it's possible to get piecemeal work as an instructor, if you have the right qualifications and connections. I doubt you'd make a living but it might be a good way to top up your income and/or keep your hand in between jobs.

Generally speaking, qualifications are very important, since the organisations that run courses etc. need to be able to demonstrate that their staff are certified by the appropriate sports bodies. It might be a good idea to start building up a useful set of teaching/guiding/first-aid etc certificates while you have a regular income- that will stand you in good stead and also let you meet and chat to staff & students in the field, to help understand the industry, what you want to do etc and maybe make a few contacts.

This is obviously all outdoorsy related- don't know if you have any interest or experience in skiing, sailing, canoeing, climbing etc... so might not be relevant.

Alternatives might be bike-mechanic, salesman for outdoors gear (shop or wholesale), chef at (eg) Nevis Range, working for one of the "backpacker" budget tour companies, or some sort of tourism management role.

Or you could set out on your own- there's probably a niche for organising bike tours or similar activities, if you have the right organisational skills and can tap into the cash-rich/time-poor holiday/shortbreak market.

Good luck, anyway... hope this is useful.

Cheers,
    W.

PS- I assume you have an enthusiastic, "can-do" attitude.
  • Wallace1492

Two friends of mine have left finance for Outdoor education. One was already a skier, windsurfer & climber. He did a couple of extra courses to beef up his qualifications then started with Falcon sailing or SunSail, moved to an outdoor centre on Loch Rannoch and on to teaching skiing at Nevis Range & doing yacht deliveries and mountain guiding.

The other left to do a higher education course in Outdoor Ed. I'll email hime & see how he's getting on. He was a mountain biker, primarily. I don't recall any other specific activities.
    Both were in their mid to late twenties when they switched.

FWIW. I'm an RYA dinghy instructor and have worked at several sailing schools. I currently teach on a voluntary basis at a local sailing club (Venachar).

It's very much a lifestyle choice, as I'm sure you're aware. You don't get rich doing this stuff and the best way to make a small fortune in Outdoor Leisure is to start with a large one.

I don't know what your role is in finance, but you might consider contracting? You could potentially spend part of a year making money and part outdoors- I have another friend who's spent the last few winters snowboarding and the summers as an IT contractor in the Scottish finance sector.

Finally, it's possible to get piecemeal work as an instructor, if you have the right qualifications and connections. I doubt you'd make a living but it might be a good way to top up your income and/or keep your hand in between jobs.

Generally speaking, qualifications are very important, since the organisations that run courses etc. need to be able to demonstrate that their staff are certified by the appropriate sports bodies. It might be a good idea to start building up a useful set of teaching/guiding/first-aid etc certificates while you have a regular income- that will stand you in good stead and also let you meet and chat to staff & students in the field, to help understand the industry, what you want to do etc and maybe make a few contacts.

This is obviously all outdoorsy related- don't know if you have any interest or experience in skiing, sailing, canoeing, climbing etc... so might not be relevant.

Alternatives might be bike-mechanic, salesman for outdoors gear (shop or wholesale), chef at (eg) Nevis Range, working for one of the "backpacker" budget tour companies, or some sort of tourism management role.

Or you could set out on your own- there's probably a niche for organising bike tours or similar activities, if you have the right organisational skills and can tap into the cash-rich/time-poor holiday/shortbreak market.

Good luck, anyway... hope this is useful.

Cheers,
    W.

PS- I assume you have an enthusiastic, "can-do" attitude.

Cheers WGW, some good ideas, love the outdoor stuff, but maybe too long in the tooth (old) to be a full on Outdoor Ed teacher. Have thought about the organised bike tour/bike hire market and that could be a possibility. I currently help organise a MTB Meet up group and design runs and days out (all for free!) As I just posted I will be doing Trail Cycle Leader and First Aid courses while in job, and see what happens after that. Also while earning good dosh, can build up my stock of outdoor equipment!!